White tiny worms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homer8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can not figure out what these things are. They are very small and are only on the glass. I have seen planaria before and if thats what they are they are way to small to be identified as such. They stay mostly within one or two inches from the surface on the glass. The look like tiny white threads that slither around the tank. My ammonia is 0, nitrite 0, nitrate is around 10ppm. This is in my brackish tank. I have a figure 8 and a mudskipper 2 nerites and 1 amano shrimp that has eluded the figure 8. What are these things?

I forgot to mention that i do 25% weekly water changes. They are way to small to take a picture of.

anyone? im about 50/50 whether these are planaria. they are smaller then any planaria ive ever seen. they are pure white usually planaria are browning but not always. they are only on the glass and not free swimming nor are they in or on the sand.

I have the same issue and did extensive research trying to identify what those are. After some careful comparison, those are not planaria (my initial guess). If they are what I think you have, they are (drum roll please)....... Nematode Worms!

Most are harmless and live in your substrate. They multiply if you overfeed and don't clean your tank (vacuum your gravel) thoroughly when you do your PWC's.
If you want to reduce their numbers and appearance in your tank, do several PWC's and reduce your feeding.

Here's a youtube vid (not mine) of what those little suckers look like:
Worm on the inside of aquarium glass - YouTube

my dont look like that though. i thought they might be nematodes too but mine are very short. Id say they are the size of 1-2 just hatched brine shrimp. i havent seen any longer then that and ive had noticed them for the past few days. they move around like pond snails and what i mean by that is that they dont wiggle around and glide across the glass.

i havent noticed any in my sand substrate.

hi, I have them also, and I don't know what they are. They are super small and all over the tank glass. I've treated the tank with parasite cure from the pet store on three occations and did a 50% water change. I have a 75 gallon freshwater with a monster oscar and a jack dempsey, i've even turned off the heater. I also have a 29 gal and just noticed a few in it. I recently bought a new type fish food, that's the only thing I can think of how they got there. If you figure out what they are and how to get rid of them, please post....I've been scouring the net for a week trying to find some info. Good Luck!

Still havent figured it out but they were gone after two weeks. Doesnt seem like they did any harm. The two fish in the tank seem healthy and have a good appetite. I really dont think they came along because they tank wasnt clean or over. I clean once a week i dont over feed and i have good filtration. Water has never been cloudy all parameters are in check so who knows maybe its one of the mysteries of life lol.

Back
Top Bottom