White worm invaders...assistance needed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedFlame

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I am trying to determine what invaders I have in my tank. First off the tank specs, red cherry tank started in the beginning of November. Ph 7.6, ammo 0, trites 0, trates 10. Live plants include a Manzanita Taiwan moss covered tree, chain swords, anubias, and anacharis. I vacuum and do 25% water changes on weds or thurs and 50% water changes on sat or sun. I currently have about 30 adult breeding size rcs with about 9 berried females and 15 recently born shrimplets. I feed about 2 times a week about 1/8 of a hikari algae wafer and the occasional vegetable matter between (all of which the remainder is taken out).

So it started about three weeks ago when I started noticing white (hair thin) worms in the gravel, they primarily remained in the substrate. I, like everyone else, read through countless articles that go back and forth as to it being this or that, with the large majority of people just saying… oh its planeria, regardless of if the description or any details match.

So anyways, I ramped up the gravel vacuuming and water changes and after about two weeks or so the “thread worms” as I will call them migrated to the water column with few visibly remaining in the substrate along the glass. The current issue is there are now tons and I mean tons of white dots along the glass. Some of these new worms are in different sizes, some being about ¼ inch long and rounded (there is no triangular head with visible eyes) they are also now moving about the substrate but are primarily along the glass and the thread worms are all but non-existent in the substrate.

Today I noticed one of these worms, with clearish body and visible insides hunt down one of the thread worms. The worm literally sucked the thread worm off of the glass and into the substrate and into his body. I am trying to find out if anyone has actual experience with these worms or familiar with the correct names so I have a reference point to begin.

I have tried to take pictures of the various worms but it is not coming out well. So I have included a couple which may or may not help, any help is appreciated.

Thanks guys,
-David

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 87
  • tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 87
Sorry I can't help determining what your invaders are but I wanted to say that your tank looks great. I like that choice of gravel color.

Planaria-caused by overfeeding or not cleaning the tank enough. To get rid of them, feed less and clean more.

RedFlame said:
Is that from experience? Based on the pictures? Based on the description or just a guess?

Yes. I have had planaria before, and I got rid of it using the method above. I read the description and looked at the pictures. The first picture is definitely planaria. The second might be something else though.

Awesome, thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it. I wasn't too worried until I saw one worm eat another, I have a bunch of shrimplets in the tank and with all the back and forth on worm identification I wasn't quite sure what I had.

Back
Top Bottom