Who ate my swordtail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilovemydragongoby

Aquarium Advice FINatic
all of my fish looked perfectly healthy until i saw my swordtail with no tail! Who did this, i have guppies, mollies, other swordtails, a dragon goby, bumble bee gobies and some snails!

i thought all my fish were relatively peaceful...

My money would be on the Bumble Bee Gobies. They can be territorial...and I've read them described as "grumpy". They are also the newest in the tank, right?

yes they are the newest in the tank. i knew my bumble bees and dragon gobies were territorial but i know quite a few people with both...especially bumble bees, and ive never heard of them actually attacking the other fish

well what i've read about dragon gobies as they won't attack other fish unless they are sick or injured. but i just read that the bumble bees will fin nip at anything that swims by them lol....i guess i found the culprit

What type of dragon gobie do you have? The only dragon gobie that i know of is a brackish water type and they mostly are soppose to shift the gravel/sand for there food. So i dont think they would be the best canadet to blame. But i can see one of them biting the tail of a fish if they get mad.

A dragon goby is actually more of a grazer. It wouldnt be it. I would put my money on the bumble bees, i have seen them tear a oscars fins to shreds, they can be very nippy and they almost work in groups like bees. They work well but when in a small tank with fish they can get nippy and "grumpy" is a great way to explain it.

this is the kind of dragon i have this is a pic when he was in the 20gal, he's now in 80, which i have not yet been able to get a good pic of him in there.

29423-albums989-picture6920.jpg

i dont think it's him because he was in the 20 gal with 6 barbs for so long and he never bugged them. But like everyone is saying, the bumble bees are grumpy fish. I have not yet seen them attack a fish yet but who knows what happens when the lights go out lol. During the day when another fish swims by them, the bumble bee looks almost skidish and will swim away really fast as if hes intimidated.

Ya, that is a ddragon goby (Gobioides Broussonnetii) like i said, they are more of a rock grazer, that is why people give them algae pellets. My money is still on the bumblebee gobies. What size tank do you have them in? That might be ur problem. They are getting territorial.

HOw many of each do you have in it of each? It might be just a isolated incident just keep your eye on the fish.

Back
Top Bottom