Who can sex RAMS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ardynas

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a GBR and what I think is a Bolivian Ram. The LFS is calling it a Golden Ram.

I just don't know the sexes of these two. I'm thinking since the Bolivian doesn't have a lot of color she might be a she?

The GBR is difficult for me to tell. I do believe there is some black on the pelvic fins. I would like to have a couple. If these are both females, I'll bring in a male.

Thanks for reading!

original.jpg

original.jpg

The Bolivian is a boy. They do not get as colorful as the gbr. You can tell the gender of Bolivians from the slope of their belly. :)

Whoopsies. Sorry about that.
@Ardynas, the second fish pictured is indeed a Bolivian and its male.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so I was at a store today and I ended up speaking with someone who is an authority of some dwarf cichlid something or other. ( I could barely keep up on the info he was giving me on fish let alone what association he belonged to) he gives speeches on cichlids and his knowledge was impeccable. He said many cichlids are near impossible to sex. Apparently they are, for the most part, dimorpheous (check my spelling and the word lol) but basically they look the same unless the female is full of eggs. I guess he could have been wrong but he sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

That's the way I sex them also, but the spangles usually cover the black spot, that one only has a little bit of spangling around the edges.

Also the shape of the fish just looks more like a male, with the sweeping dorsal fin, although none of them are real determining factors in the last few years since they are sharing traits now.

jetajockey said:
That's the way I sex them also, but the spangles usually cover the black spot, that one only has a little bit of spangling around the edges.

Also the shape of the fish just looks more like a male, with the sweeping dorsal fin, although none of them are real determining factors in the last few years since they are sharing traits now.

That is true, I took another look and in leaning a little more towards male.

It's such a crapshoot with these things, sometimes there's no telling until you see eggs, or the telltale aggressive behavior that males have when staking claims.

One of the best methods I've always used is not really applicable in most situations except when picking them at the LFS. I just look at the group as a whole, it's much easier to differentiate then.

Folks, if you need fish ID'd start your own thread. Things get confusing when a bunch of people hijack the OP's thread. Now no one knows what fish we are talking about here.

So do you think these are good guidelines for sexing?
Fishalicious: Sexing Microgeophagus ramirezi - German Blue Ram

Female

img_1742117_0_259d1f5e05511cf0bd96aa23d88896a6.jpg

Male

img_1742117_1_50b8bb9c8d1c3816589cda890a7557bb.jpg

Yes and no. If you find a female with all three of those things, then yes, I think it's pretty safe to say. However, I've seen males with black pelvic fins also.

I have not seen a male with a pink belly, but I have seen a female without a pink belly.

Another great indicator if you have multiples is size and behavior.

Thanks Meegosh.

Jet, This is starting to make more sense and thank you.

My GBR is acting like a male and very aggressive. Has staked out territory (protecting it) and swims to the surface for food instead of staying low in the tank.

Here's another picture. Very comfortable swimming the entire tank (150 gal).

original.jpg

SO... I went to the LFS store last night and brought what I thought was a male GBR home, cause at the time I thought my current GBR was a female (so confusing!).

Anyway, my current GBR is now chasing the smaller newcomer all over the tank. No nipping or biting but wants to either chase or be with the new GBR all the time.

I'm not sure if he really likes the new GBR or hates her. The new guy is very stressed and hardly no color at all.

The new GBR will at time turn his back into my current GBR like it's being submissive or giving up to the current GBR.

If the newcomer is a male (and these are two males) I'll take the new GBR back to the LFS.

original.jpg

Quick update on the new GBR. Not too much chasing going on and they are hanging together now. They're acting like a pair. Would two males do this? Maybe I might get lucky and have a pair!

Back
Top Bottom