Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-10-2006, 06:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Who do goldfish lose their color and can they get it back?

Title pretty much says it all. My goldie is now white. You can still see the orange under the scales and on the fins and tail. The light was off for 2 days. Prior to this I had changed food... Put them back on goldfish good. No one else changed. Before the change this fish was completely orange. WHy such a sudden change?
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I could not find a goldfish section.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to WaterPond Send a message via Yahoo to WaterPond
goldfish change all the time. Mine change suddenly aswell. One of my "commets" has black spots on his tail which he never had before and is lossing them almost over night.

Canadian Aquarium Auction!
WaterPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:13 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

That's just what golds do ... There is usually a major color change between juvies & adults, and another (color fading) when the fish hit old age.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've had these guys for about 9 months, and they are -body only-1 2/3 - 4 inches. The one that changed recently is one of the smaller ones. I thought goldfish live for a really long time if taken care of, like 20-30 yrs or more - I could be wrong... But uding the long life theory... I wouldn't think this has to do with old age. ?
I read something that lack of natural light affects their color, so I thought maybe.... since thier light was malfunctioning for 2 days. But they have been without light before...???? Anyone hear about this?
Old 10-10-2006, 08:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is correct that when fish go without light they can lose their coloration. I notice it on my Angels and Africans. First thing in the morning their coloration is usually dull. But after a few hours it comes back.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Goldfish change for numerous reasons. They change as they grow, if they don't get enough sunlight, with different foods, sickness, black always changes because it is unstable. Your smaller fish sound stunted. Where did you get them, a lfs, maybe as breeder culls? Do they have enough room- 10g per fish? A diet of about 25% bloodworms can get some colour going.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They did when they were tiny, but now that they are growing up I am deciding on where and how to set them up a bigger tank. (so I just clean it more often now to be safe) I did get them from a local chain store, some where quite tiny when I got them. She actaully isn't as small as I typed in. I looked at her yesterday after I sent the note and she is closer to 2"
They usually do get blood worms a few times a week, but I ran out... They have only had them maybe 3 times in the last 2-3 weeks. I have some now so will give them a treat today. Maybe it will help. But is sounds like she is now a white fish with orange fins and tail. Her upper lip is still orange as well. So she has lost more color in the last 2 days. ugh... I wonder why it is so sudden. Last time I had one change white, it happened very slowly. Now that one is the largest of them all.

Tags
color, goldfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com