Who done it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, there are largertanks planned, always are. as it is, the angels will eventually go back to my 75 gallon, right now they cant though. and once the pleco gets to the point of outgrowing the 29, then the entire 29 will be upgraded and the 29 itself will be turned into saltwater.

It's funny you mention saltwater. I was thinking that once the Oscar got too big for this tank, I would return him and make an attempt at a saltwater tank. The best part about saltwater is that it's difficult to overstock it due to the cost involved. It's so easy to overstock a tank when some fish literally cost a dollar a piece.

That brings me to another point. I think that fish stores should charge more for their freshwater fish. Not quite as much as saltwater, but if they charged more, there would be higher profit on each fish, and it would discourage people from unintentionally overstocking their tank.

And why would I want to return my other fish? They're going to be Oscar food. I like watching him eat. He ate right out of my hand today. I'm really liking Oscars. They aren't the most attractive fish out there, but they really have personalities.

I am sorry Ferret_Friend but I disagree. I am in the process of setting up a saltwater tank that will be cycling in three weeks. Impulse buys are impulse buys.

The key to people not overstocking tanks is education which comes from experience and places like AA.

Actually, from what I have been reading, it is easy to overstock a saltwater tank, saltwater requires alot less fish than fresh can handle from what I understand...

Of course I have a friend who has been runnin his salt 55 without a filter for 3 years now. All he runs is a skimmer and powerheads...but his tank is barely stocked....but then again, with saltwater, it is easier to have a beautful tank with corals and LR and only a few fish.

Yes, very easy to overstock a S/W tank. Money has nothing to do with it.

And, if you have enough Live Rock, a skimmer and powerheads is all you need for filtration.

I am sorry Ferret_Friend but I disagree. I am in the process of setting up a saltwater tank that will be cycling in three weeks. Impulse buys are impulse buys.

Considering that I have far less disposable income than when I started the hobby, I can't just impulse buy anymore. I don't even impulse buy on freshwater anymore. I do my research. Since my tank is overstocked, I don't buy any more fish.

Money really has a lot to do with it. I just got married and bought a new home. I went from virtually unlimited disposable income to virtually none. When spending $30 on a fish is something you can only afford to do every 1-2 months, you're not likely to just purchase one on a whim. I'd hate to have a $30 fish die because of my own stupidity. A $3 on the other hand is a bit more disposable in that respect.

Well maybe I shouldn't have said money has nothing to do with it. What I meant is that it doesn't take that much money, or that many fish to overstolk a S/W tank

That may be true, but I'm pretty sure my lack of funds for this hobby will help prevent that.

Back
Top Bottom