Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2018, 08:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Who to add?

We just lost our well-loved betta this morning due to a probable accidental overfeeding. (I wasn't home when he was discovered and my husband didn't know what to look for.) He'd been acting a little odd for a day or two, but I didn't see any physical signs of anything wrong.

Anyway, I did a 25% water change to handle the slight ammonia spike, as I've got 4 amano shrimp and 3 otocinclus in there and I want them to stay alive.

The tank has only been inhabited since October, after completing a fishless cycle. My water parameters have always been very good (0/0/0-5ppm) and even the otocinclus are thriving in there, so I know that didn't kill my poor betta.

I already miss my betta, and once the ammonia is back to 0ppm I'd like to add another fish (or more) to the tank.

So, who to add?

The tank is a 10 gallon with moss balls and anacharis, heater, and mongo sponge filter.

What else could I try without overcrowding the tank? I wouldn't mind another betta but I also wouldn't mind something different if I thought I could handle it.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Apistogramma, Honey Gourami..... another betta? A group of small tetra

Old 03-15-2018, 05:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

2 younger female betta's. At the store pick 2 out and put them side by side to see if they flare, if not then you should be good. Let them float side by side in the tank for a few hours and add them at same time. Or some neon tetras are a lot of color too. Up to you.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com