Who uses Quarantine Tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes and no. Definitely treat the fish, regardless of the plants in the QT. But there's no reason why you can take cuttings from your main tanks and having them grow in QT. If the plants die to treatment, so be it. You can regrow more. Personally I think a planted tank is less stressful for the fish.

I guess I look at a QT the same way that I look at my seat belt. Ive been driving for 25 years and, other than one very minor fender bender, I have never been in an accident. This said, I still wear my seat belt. Not just because its the law, but because its a simple thing to do that might save me a lot of problems.
Understandably, some people dont have the monetary resources, the space, or possibly both, to set up a QT. And there are probably thousands up people who have never quarantined their fish and have never had an issue. Thats great for them. I wish everybody could be so fortunate. But for me, its not worth the hassle of replacing all my fish when I could've just quarantined new arrivals and made sure of their health.

One a side note: My job has me in and out of a lot of people's homes, and I tend to notice when they have aquariums and will often strike up a conversation about them. I'd say that 80% of the people that have a saltwater display tank (that Ive encountered) also have a saltwater quarantine tank. So maybe it just comes down to the price of the fish and how much people are willing to risk on a roll of the dice.

I do not know anyone who has spent thousands on their fish and their setups. People forget that outside of this forum there are thousands of people walking in to shops around the world and buying fish and new tanks every single day.

For that reason I would say that the majority do not.

Please read thoroughly, as I'm not looking to start any kind of fight, or he said she said thing !!!

I can introduce you to a whole new world if you're willing. My average FW fish runs about $125 +/-. Currently I'm looking to stock a 265g biotope with a 10g per fish stock rate. At $135/fish, not including shipping, that means at most, I can do 26.5 fish. Keep in mind please, 50% daily WC's. At that rate I'm about $3510.00 worth of specimens. I won't go that high, maybe around 18 to keep it safe for biological reasons. That's only one tank from one supplier. I don't mix my fish from different importers. My other tanks, 2-55's, have fish from two other suppliers and they're about $400--$600 per pair. Those are maxed out at 6 fish each. More easy math is like this. That's $2400.00 per tank. For me, QT is not only essential, but proven.

So alone in those 3 tanks, you have now met, (or at least heard of somebody) that has spent THOUSANDS of dollars on fish. I'm not trying to knock anybody as to what they do, I'm only trying to show what has worked and prove research will pay off. Everyone has their own way. I'm fine with that. Perfectly. But until you begin to invest close to $10,000 in your fish, there's a not so fine line between "old school experience" and "I just read on Google".

It goes back to my other thread I posted called "How Can That Be". Without those that have dedicated years of "I killed a fish because.....", many others wouldn't be here to learn from the mistakes of others.

Love to you all !!!!

Please read thoroughly, as I'm not looking to start any kind of fight, or he said she said thing !!!

I can introduce you to a whole new world if you're willing. My average FW fish runs about $125 +/-. Currently I'm looking to stock a 265g biotope with a 10g per fish stock rate. At $135/fish, not including shipping, that means at most, I can do 26.5 fish. Keep in mind please, 50% daily WC's. At that rate I'm about $3510.00 worth of specimens. I won't go that high, maybe around 18 to keep it safe for biological reasons. That's only one tank from one supplier. I don't mix my fish from different importers. My other tanks, 2-55's, have fish from two other suppliers and they're about $400--$600 per pair. Those are maxed out at 6 fish each. More easy math is like this. That's $2400.00 per tank. For me, QT is not only essential, but proven.

So alone in those 3 tanks, you have now met, (or at least heard of somebody) that has spent THOUSANDS of dollars on fish. I'm not trying to knock anybody as to what they do, I'm only trying to show what has worked and prove research will pay off. Everyone has their own way. I'm fine with that. Perfectly. But until you begin to invest close to $10,000 in your fish, there's a not so fine line between "old school experience" and "I just read on Google".

It goes back to my other thread I posted called "How Can That Be". Without those that have dedicated years of "I killed a fish because.....", many others wouldn't be here to learn from the mistakes of others.

Love to you all !!!!

I agree! The next project I'm doing is a QT

Curious what kind of fish cost that much? I am new and obviously don't know very much, but my lfs don't carry those kind of fish.

my plants cost more than my fish :)

I have a 29 gallon community tank and I don't use a qt tank. For me, it's not practical because I have a small apartment with very limited room. However, I once bought a single fish from a store and lost all my fish to Ich because I didn't quarantine. If I had a big, expensive setup (which I hope to have someday) I would definitely use one but for now I don't have the room.

Also, I am curious, what fish do you get for $125?!

Sometimes things like ich don't appear until after you carefully selected the fish and put them into your display tank, which is why after a few bad experiences I now use a QT. They're not expensive to set up but sometimes the fish we're trying to protect are.

Lol - always the way isn't it. Some I QT and some I don't. There were some nice cardinal tetras I was watching in a small lfs for about 3 weeks. Looking really good and cheap, went in to buy and they looked right off. Almost suspected columnaris and there was one just floating around.

What do people do for plants? I like to have them sit in a spare bucket outside for a few days just in case with general cure. I buy way more plants than fish. I usually get plants from lfs where there are no fish with plants but I don't know conditions at the grower (it's almost a stampede here when new plants come in so I can't wait around to get them).

I am brand new to the hobby with just one tank but already realize the the necessity of and use a QT. I lost a number of fish to ich that came with some new additions.
Just wondering, I quarantine fish and plants (to grow out and to check for snails) but is it necessary to QT inverts?

Love to you all !!!!

I know. I do understand WHY people quarantine their fish. I have a quarantine tank and have used it once.

I'm not telling people not to use one or start a debate.

You are talking about different suppliers, imports, different tanks and setups. I was only stating that it's best not to assume that everybody practices the same methods as veteran keepers who have the time, money and energy to invest in those kind of fish and set ups because most people do not.

I am brand new to the hobby with just one tank but already realize the the necessity of and use a QT. I lost a number of fish to ich that came with some new additions.
Just wondering, I quarantine fish and plants (to grow out and to check for snails) but is it necessary to QT inverts?

Be interested what others think but would say the same thoughts would apply for inverts. I don't keep them at present though.

I've just woken up so maybe a little grumpy but was thinking what other pet would you effectively have a hospital home for straight away? If I bought a cat or dog for let's say $50 or a budgerigar or guinea pig I know there would be some vet bills but I wouldn't be saying, I know my pet whatever has such a good chance it might have something that I'm going to keep him separate (cause I've been burnt before, stock looked iffy, store has bad rep, etc, etc). I'm not knocking QT but what a crazy world fish keeping is. I know you must have to but even when we bought cattle (although not many) - we didn't worry so much. I think if a new one died we would have been down there like a shot demanding to know why their farm wasn't up to scratch and money back please. Just saying (grumble, grumble, shuffle off stage left for a cup of tea).

Be interested what others think but would say the same thoughts would apply for inverts. I don't keep them at present though.

I've just woken up so maybe a little grumpy but was thinking what other pet would you effectively have a hospital home for straight away? If I bought a cat or dog for let's say $50 or a budgerigar or guinea pig I know there would be some vet bills but I wouldn't be saying, I know my pet whatever has such a good chance it might have something that I'm going to keep him separate (cause I've been burnt before, stock looked iffy, store has bad rep, etc, etc). I'm not knocking QT but what a crazy world fish keeping is. I know you must have to but even when we bought cattle (although not many) - we didn't worry so much. I think if a new one died we would have been down there like a shot demanding to know why their farm wasn't up to scratch and money back please. Just saying (grumble, grumble, shuffle off stage left for a cup of tea).

Other average pets typically do not come with the threat of bringing in a disease that could potentially wipe out part of your existing stock though, right?

Other average pets typically do not come with the threat of bringing in a disease that could potentially wipe out part of your existing stock though, right?

I think that's right, I can't think of much - nothing that causes as much angst anyways. But it's more that in buying any other pet (or even a fruit tree), my expectation is they will be disease free, with fish it's only a hope. I don't blame the lfs here or anything. Lol - I guess my vet bills are cheaper (er, maybe).

The thing here is though if you bring home a dog and it's sick it has room. If you bring home a fish don't QT it and it's sick than is confined in a tank with all the other fish therefore making the spread risk muck more.

I think it all depends on the size of the fish you are buying

I would need a 6x2 quarantine tank min for any fish I buy

If it's wild caught fish and good store should have already done it before you buy from them

I think it's that trust you local store thing again

I think it all depends on the size of the fish you are buying

I would need a 6x2 quarantine tank min for any fish I buy

If it's wild caught fish and good store should have already done it before you buy from them

I think it's that trust you local store thing again

Yeh if I got in to it enough to spend over £100 on a fish I would be on first name terms with the breeders daughters pet hamster.

That was a joke lol but I would definitely do my research.

Qt everything. (My opinion) It is less hassle long term, a simple and effective barrier against unwanted nasties.

Based on my first ever experience with ich and clown loach.
(Documented YouTube 4tanks2day my fish house or fish tank stills video)

I lost the fish I bought and some I already had. Gutted.
(Nearly a decade ago)

Since then I have as many as three temp tanks I can switch on in a second, sometimes I use display tank as qt (species only, single specimen) sometimes these tanks are used for fry grow out etc. (currently I have three spare sizes 170,60,3x28 litres, so five tanks I could start up in an emergency)

It is far easier to observe the fish for indicators in a qt. some form of inert decor can be used (plastic plants and that half price who on earth would buy that type decoration are really useful, they can be cleaned and reused indefinitely) it must also be said, a dead fish is a tasty snack for a live fish, fins are particularly tasty it seems. Ingested disease ridden fish normally means one thing, another disease ridden fish.

I'm gutted if I lose a £1/$1 (any currency you use) fish, it died in my care, I am responsible. I'm not so sure that main fish stores treat animals as a matter of fact, they do deal with obvious ailments. One thing I've noticed, the tank often isn't isolated from the main batch of tanks in the group, you just can't buy the obviously sick ones, the pipe work suggests they share the same water. I assume the new healthy looking fish to be sick and try to determine the best course of action during qt. It is likely the fish or the water they are in (includes the wet body of the fish) has something in it that you don't want in your display. (I make mistakes with things like contamination, the five or ten employees may have made a mistake)

Maybe an ex store owner or current dealer could clarify, if a fish is alive and well looking, do you treat all of your systems to cure all diseases/bacteria etc or is this impossible due to the cycling of stock?
How do you explain to each customer, the fish is part way through a medical program?
Maybe they employ a pathogen uv but I'm sure they don't kill everything.

Acclimating fish (sorry not for sale),
These share the same water as the tank next door, unless the store has isolated systems, some places can isolate tanks but then I can't see how it's filtered? Each bank of tanks share water and any fish may have any number of things wrong with it.

The two most common things I've dealt with are worms and bacteria, both internally and externally. (I've reached a point now where they all get internal/external parasite/bacteria and worms treatment as standard)

Internal bacteria is an annual treatment, so is worms, these two areas can be reintroduced normally through faeces and can also be naturally occurring. The external types usually manifest themselves visually and are dealt with accordingly otherwise I don't treat for them.

(Even with a qt it is still possible to contaminate your system)
If it's impossible to qt (impulse buy rears it's ugly head again)
Then the main display gets close obs while carrying out a full course of treatments.

(The dog gets yearly worm tabs, maybe it's different for fish? It's too late if it's dead) If it isn't old age, it's my fault. That's how I think.

(Yep, that's it!)

Yeh if I got in to it enough to spend over £100 on a fish I would be on first name terms with the breeders daughters pet hamster.

That was a joke lol but I would definitely do my research.

I spend £100 per month on food

You should see the looks I get when I walk out of Iceland with 20 bags of prawns lol

But jokes aside stingrays don't get the normal bugs like white spot and I wouldn't buy a wild caught ray anymore there are to many good breeders around

Having a quarantine tank is just taking up valuable tank space

I have never understood why people need more than one tank
There isn't enough time in the day to go to work come home do all the multi tank maintenance then sit in from of all ten tanks to appreciate them all

Just find a good breeder or shop and stick with them

If your a breeder then just concentrate on one type of fish and breed that

You don't see any fish breeder retire to a big house in the country so why breed on such a big scale with hundreds of tanks

Yes it's nice to get fry but is it such a big deal if our fish don't breed

Back on topic as I don't want another warning

Just find a trusted shop or breeder an a good uv and you don't need a quarantine tank

Yes ray sized qt is probably impossible, even a small ray needs a big tank. Trinket fish though or normal sized regular fish. It's the big buggers that cause all the problems! (Personally I'm not so keen to catch a ray!)

(That food bill sucks a big one)

How do you introduce new fish to your prized ray tank? How do you deal with the issues that appear every now and then (even with good care things go wrong)

I saw a pair of Motoro I think they were for a few thousand pound! I think it was £1500 each or £2600 the pair. (Is that normal for a ten inch ray, disc only not tail)
My word, if I had those fish in a tank, nothing at all would go in with them!

(Edit, I need more than one tank because I can't keep all of my favourite fish together) I enjoy them all everyday!

I spend £100 per month on food

You should see the looks I get when I walk out of Iceland with 20 bags of prawns lol

But jokes aside stingrays don't get the normal bugs like white spot and I wouldn't buy a wild caught ray anymore there are to many good breeders around

Having a quarantine tank is just taking up valuable tank space

I have never understood why people need more than one tank
There isn't enough time in the day to go to work come home do all the multi tank maintenance then sit in from of all ten tanks to appreciate them all

Just find a good breeder or shop and stick with them

If your a breeder then just concentrate on one type of fish and breed that

You don't see any fish breeder retire to a big house in the country so why breed on such a big scale with hundreds of tanks

Yes it's nice to get fry but is it such a big deal if our fish don't breed

Back on topic as I don't want another warning

Just find a trusted shop or breeder an a good uv and you don't need a quarantine tank

I agree. Id love to get in to fish keeping more. I'd love to have a heavily planted with grass etc. I just don't have the time.

Fish keeping is just one of many past times that I have on the go. When I'm at a stage in my life that I can afford to put the time and money in to fish keeping I will, and I look forward to it.

Back
Top Bottom