Who wants to have a look? My new tank :D I have questions though ;)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason7894561230

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey there! :wave:

Well as a lot of you know i have been getting very excited about my new tank :D
Well im here to tell you it is now fully stocked :rainbowafro: Soo here i the stocking list

3 Bronze corydoras
1 Peppered corydoras
5-8 Red Cherry shrimp.

Now i say 5-8 because i had aa couple of shrimplets and a couple of 2-4 week year olds that i got for free:cool:

Now i ahve a few questions
1) How can i tell if a Shrimp is Prego?
2) Should i put some sstockings over the filter intake so that the babies wont get sucked in?
3) What should i feed, One plant has a lot of algea on it will they eat that?
4) Should i take e mother or just let nature take its course?
5) Can anyone identify the plant in the 2nd photo?
Thanks a million

Soo here some pictures
img_1169101_0_d91bc95361604c532e4d3d20e0a7d29f.jpg

img_1169101_1_2e4c84bc38c039ebb21de9a5960ba13c.jpg

img_1169101_2_e35443e2c8b3d58c7d2aa78001b7e708.jpg

Pregnant females will clutch eggs under their abdomins, its unmistakeable once you see it. Leave her and her brood alone. They'll be fine. They will probably eat the algae if the tank isn't overfed.

The center plant looks like it could be a type of Hygro, or even an anubius frazeri . I'm guessing anubius due to the fact some of the leaves are unhealthy looking. If that is the case, the corms should not be buried in substrate, as it will kill the plant.

I forgot, I keep a stocking over my intake on the shrimp tank, but I also use the tank for fry.

Yay! :D :D :D Lookin sharp!

To help out with your questions:

1: A pregnant shrimp is referred to as "berried". With much respect to JohnPaul (a member here, who is a good source of info on shrimp), here is a picture he took of a berried shrimp: http://arizonainverts.com/forums/uploads/monthly_09_2010/post-37-026628200 1283554184.jpg

2: Yes, I would put a stocking or sponge over the filter intake. You have to be diligent about cleaning them (they can slow down the flow), but they are absolutely needed to protect shrimplets. I have also lost juvenile fish to uncovered filters :(

3: Don't know what to feed cory cats, sorry buddy! Your shrimp will eat the naturally occurring critters in your aquarium, or if they're hungry, flakes. The shrimp will LOVE any plant that has algae and detritus on it. It's the best food source for them.

4: Not sure exactly what you're asking here, but the cories will eat baby shrimp. Some may survive if there are enough hiding spaces. If you truly want to breed the shrimp, keep them in a shrimp-only tank (or with some snails). They will also be more active by themselves... not that you can't enjoy them with your cories!

5: No, nobody can :p j/k, but sorry, I'm no help here. Looks like a sword to me. Edit: That is not a hygro that I've ever seen, and unless it has a nutrient deficiency, anubias don't have leaves that curl like that.

its a sword most likely amazon. swords are grown emsered and have a transition period when submerged. you can tell by the leaf.

Nice tank, what kind of sand is that? The plant is definitely a sword. Most likely
Echinodorus bleheri

Back
Top Bottom