Whoa! Messy Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elle2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I remember someone saying that plecos are messy.... I guess that means in the 'what goes in must come out' sense? I brought my BN home yesterday and had done a gravel vac before adding him. Today, barely more than 24 hours later, the bottom of the tank is covered!

I guess this is normal?

LOL, he must be eating lots, lol.....

If you think that's bad, should see my 8 inch sailfin, lol. His strings are several inches long, lol.

And yes, what goes in must come out, lol. With the exception of what's needed to grow.

People think that plecos are cleaner fish --- not so. They clean somethings but they are a big fish so they produce a decent amount of waste. :roll: Even so, I do have to say that my goldfish can out-poop your pleco any day of the week! :mrgreen:

Actually, BN's are small, not big, lol. And I bet my sailfin can out-poo any goldfish, LOL He's da Poo machine, LOL

Too bad they couldn't be trained to go in one place like a cat or a rabbit ;)
Blechy Pleco. Lucky for him he's so darn cute! Hmm...I think he is a she.

When young, they are hard to tell sex. But as they mature, the whiskers at the end of his snout get longer, and starts to become bushy all the way up his forehead between his eyes. :)

This one is about 3 inches (maybe just a little more)... would that be young? If not then it must be a girl because there are just a few little bumps around the snout. I thought they said he/she was young at the lfs though.

Probably a female then. Mine are about 3 inches, and my male has a nice bush going. Then I also have 3 females as well. At 3 inches, you should probably be able to tell. If they are all short stubby whiskers, and the 2 at the end if the snout are short and stubby, then female. When I got mine, it took a little over 2 months before I could tell which were male and female.

Lonewolfblue said:
Actually, BN's are small, not big, lol. And I bet my sailfin can out-poo any goldfish, LOL He's da Poo machine, LOL

LOL! No way! I think we should have an official poop-off among all the big fish in town. Just think, pitting pleco against goldfish, and oscar against frontosa and more combos! It will settle the issue once and for all.

But you sound waaaayyy too excited about this. Its yucky. Messy messy fish. I actually think my platies could hold their own... they are really big platies but still...
I wish there was a fish that ate the poop.

coolchinchilla said:
Lonewolfblue said:

LOL! No way! I think we should have an official poop-off among all the big fish in town. Just think, pitting pleco against goldfish, and oscar against frontosa and more combos! It will settle the issue once and for all.

LOL, that would be an interesting event. :)

I think I win the Poop Off for today, so far. I awoke to my favorite; 12" strand of pl*cpoo festooned over a plant, and a "floater" to boot...I just got a 1.5-inch albino bristlenose last week and we actually "awwwww"-ed over how tiny his poop was last night. Is that sad? I'm not sure......

plecoperson said:
I think I win the Poop Off for today, so far. I awoke to my favorite; 12" strand of pl*cpoo festooned over a plant, and a "floater" to boot...I just got a 1.5-inch albino bristlenose last week and we actually "awwwww"-ed over how tiny his poop was last night. Is that sad? I'm not sure......

uh huh... it is :wink:
but...lets face it, I think we may all be a little sad when it comes to our fish. I was on the phone to my Mom the other night and she told me she didn't really want to hear about my fish anymore. Ok Elle, step away from the tank....

I've only had my tank cycled for about a month now... what did I do before this?

I can't believe this has turned into a poop thread. Let's just say that I win, I have an 8" Sailfin and 6 bristlenoses.

As for asthetics, ever seen a squash ball sized Golden Apple snail's "leftovers", especially after eating a carrot???

Jchillin said:
I can't believe this has turned into a poop thread. Let's just say that I win, I have an 8" Sailfin and 6 bristlenoses.

As for asthetics, ever seen a squash ball sized Golden Apple snail's "leftovers", especially after eating a carrot???

Oh no! And eeewwww. I am picking up two mystery snails today and was kind of hoping that snails weren't too messy. :?

Hmmm... I guess this also means they may add to my bioload more than I expected?

I just want to tell every guest to this thread, Elle2 started something that now has a life of its own. LOL

Really, we almost never have large poop contest! LOL

And yes, we are that competitive.

Oh,and sorry I can't compete with you guys this time. I only have little poop fish.

TwoHobbies said:
Oh,and sorry I can't compete with you guys this time. I only have little poop fish.

LOL! "little-poop" fish can have a poop-off too. Just like boxers or wrestlers have the "heavy weight" and "light weight" categories, so can our poop-off. So it would be platys against mollies, corys against otos, danios against rainbows. 8)

Back
Top Bottom