WHOOPS! Tried indroducing fry to main tank..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Tried introducing two 8 wk, 5 day old Molly fry to my 29 gallon and it didn't work out so well. 2 of my female mollies decided to chase and corner them pecking at them and chasing them clear across the tank when the fry swam away... They're about 1" tip to tail..
There are only 3 mollies & 1 platy in the tank.. Not like it's overcrowded... Maybe they're being dominant... Or maybe see the little ones as dinner or a playtoy?

I always just leave my fry in the main tank after birth. They hide in the java moss until they feel they are big enough to not be bothered. They come out of the moss and blend right in with the school.

When you raise the fry elsewhere and then plop them back into the tank, it's no different than introducing any new fish. There is going to be that period of time while the hierarchy is re-established.

Totally makes sense...
I'm selling most of my fry so they can pay for their own ongoing food and supplies :) I plucked the fry back out and back into 20 gal fry tank and will let them grow more so they have less of a chance of being pecked/scared to death. Poor things were LITERALLY shaking! :-(

Back
Top Bottom