Who's my snail eater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have this 1 1/2" wide black mystery snail in my 55 gal tank. I noticed a couple of days after I bought it home that it's tentacle "feelers" were completley gone...just little stumps. There was nothing in the tank that ate snails that I thought of, especially one that big.

So who could it be?
-One of my 2 angels or
-One of the 5 goldfish?
I was watching the fish before work the other day (and then got yelled at because I keep coming in late in the morning :wink: ) and noticed the giant angel (about 4 inches long) take a nice nip at the snail. Is it being harrased? Should I take it out, or do snails often lose the little "feelers"?
Also, I recently got clown loaches, after I noticed about the snail... they won't pick on a snail two times their size will they?
Thanks!

I think so. My guess is this happens in the wild and the snail would need a way to compensate for the loss by regrowing. Keep an eye on it and let me know.

I think it would grow back too. If catfishes can grow back their feelers, snails probably can too. (A glass cat of mine got plagued with fungus and most of his feelers fell off; however, he recovered and grew them back to longer than their original length! Just hope that also applies for snails!

From what apple snail dot com says..it should grow slowly back to original.
But don't put it above the clown to take pot shots at it after dark. When my clowns were still pretty small (3 in) , they devoured two of my apple snails under 2 inches. Once they decide to like snails they will be plottting it's dedmise daily..then it'll wish it was only missing feelers! :roll:
I monitor my snails in the tank with the clowns closely. They have plenty places to go now. They are only in there for weekly housekeeping.

Ok, I moved the snail into the 5 gal betta tank last night... It should be safe and sound in there. I hear betta's like snails too though..is that true? It doesn't look so good...I watched the angel take a drive at the snail again last night and the poor thing just lets go of the glass and floats in the water a while. That stupid angel! (J/K btw...I will proably cry when it dies :roll: )I think it took a pretty nice chuck of scale out of my big comet goldfish too. The poor thing has three nice scars on it's side.... Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom