Whos the culprit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evert0nfc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
after a bit of advise. Ive set up my tank about 6month ago at the moment ive got 2 pakistani loach about 2 inches long, 1 albino corydora about the same size and a freshwater shrimp which is about 1 1/2 inches long (body size).
I decided to add a few small neons to brighten the tank up but within a week something is eatning then (twice i found one with its tail end completely missing) I aske dmy local aquarium who said they all should be pretty peacfull and werent sure.
Any ideas who the culprit may be?
any advice welcome thanks

What species of shrimp do you have?

not exactly sure to be honest bought it from pets at home it was just labelled as a freshwater shrimp.ive had a look around and it looks very much like macrobrachium lanchesteri (its got very large front claws) but i cant be definate thanks

I'm betting on the shrimp
What size tank? The Cory would appreciate some buddies

That's a ghost shrimp. It will grab a fish swimming by if the fish is small enough. It will then consume it.

FYI - corys need to be kept in groups of 3 or more, 5 is better, more than 5 is better yet. Your loaches should also be kept in groups. You should get at least one more.

What size tank is this?

I'm betting on the shrimp
What size tank? The Cory would appreciate some buddies

Only a small tank 23ltr mate
my suspicions are the shrimp as well so wanna find the culprit then restock a little and as u said maybe a buddy for cory :)

thinking off another tank to put the culprit in and mabe a couple of bigger fish that he cant bully

Ok, here's the really bad news. The tank is much too small for the loaches, neons, and the corys. It's less than 7 gallons. You'd need at least 20 for the loaches and at least 15 for the corys and at least 10 for the neons. Your lone shrimp is the only one who can stay in this size tank.

That's a ghost shrimp. It will grab a fish swimming by if the fish is small enough. It will then consume it.

FYI - corys need to be kept in groups of 3 or more, 5 is better, more than 5 is better yet. Your loaches should also be kept in groups. You should get at least one more.

What size tank is this?

thanks for the advice lynda
think i'll invest in another tank and put the cory in that with the shrimp and get him some friends

leave the loach in this tank and get them a friend as well :)

Ok, here's the really bad news. The tank is much too small for the loaches, neons, and the corys. It's less than 7 gallons. You'd need at least 20 for the loaches and at least 15 for the corys and at least 10 for the neons. Your lone shrimp is the only one who can stay in this size tank.

looks like i need to invest in a much larger tank then :)

thanks again for the advise

You're welcome. I'd rather see you have the most enjoyable fishkeeping experience possible by having the proper species in the proper tank. Don't get any more fish until you upgrade tank size! ;)

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom