Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-07-2018, 07:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Why am I getting Ammonia spikes?

Hello! Iíve recently cycled a 16 gallon tank and Iíve had an established 5 gallon tank for a few years now, last Saturday I did a water change which is usual about every other week or so and both of those tanks spiked up with ammonia right after and Iím just wondering why, in my 5 gallon tank I had a pea puffer but I had to remove it due to the spikes and it not doing well at all, I think it might die, I have a 29 gallon tank too but that seems to be going fine. Does anyone have any ideas on maybe why Iím having ammonia spikes?

Old 08-07-2018, 07:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaileymag View Post
Hello! Iíve recently cycled a 16 gallon tank and Iíve had an established 5 gallon tank for a few years now, last Saturday I did a water change which is usual about every other week or so and both of those tanks spiked up with ammonia right after and Iím just wondering why, in my 5 gallon tank I had a pea puffer but I had to remove it due to the spikes and it not doing well at all, I think it might die, I have a 29 gallon tank too but that seems to be going fine. Does anyone have any ideas on maybe why Iím having ammonia spikes?
How new are the tanks setup? Are you conditioning the new water you're adding back into the tank? Are you overcleaning? Are you using any chemicals to wipe down the OUTSIDE of the glass.

I would add prime to the tank that detoxifies ammonia into ammonium, you should always condition the water you're adding back into the tank, could be poor surface for nitrofying bacteria to grow on, what filters are you running.

first thing is if the tanks are new and not cycled you need to do water changes every other day with prime (best water conditioner on the market in my opinion), leave filters alone.

Please respond with
how new the tanks are?
What filtration?
What water conditioner you use?

Old 08-07-2018, 07:53 PM   #3

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0053.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	310010 hereís a picture of my levels, the two middle tubes are my ammonia and before they were zero
Old 08-07-2018, 07:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potluck View Post
How new are the tanks setup? Are you conditioning the new water you're adding back into the tank? Are you overcleaning? Are you using any chemicals to wipe down the OUTSIDE of the glass.

I would add prime to the tank that detoxifies ammonia into ammonium, you should always condition the water you're adding back into the tank, could be poor surface for nitrofying bacteria to grow on, what filters are you running.

first thing is if the tanks are new and not cycled you need to do water changes every other day with prime (best water conditioner on the market in my opinion), leave filters alone.

Please respond with
how new the tanks are?
What filtration?
What water conditioner you use?

The 5 gallon has been established for 2 years, the 16 gallon has been set up since July, when doing water changes I always add prime to the new buckets of water, I also sometimes use api QuickStart because it helped me to get rid of the ammonia in my 5 gallon tank years ago when I was figuring out the cycling process, I use an Aqueon quietflow Filter Iím not sure which one because the tank was a gift from my uncle but it uses large filter cartridges and Iím assuming itís used for 20-30 gallons because he got it in the aquarium set
Old 08-07-2018, 07:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Attachment 310010 hereís a picture of my levels, the two middle tubes are my ammonia and before they were zero
Okay test the tap water for ammonia , get seachem prime dose the tank, do more frequent water changes, what's your nitrite? What filters you using?
Old 08-07-2018, 07:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Okay test the tap water for ammonia , get seachem prime dose the tank, do more frequent water changes, what's your nitrite? What filters you using?

Nitrite is Zero and nitrate is around 40 so it seems to need another water change
Old 08-07-2018, 08:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
The 5 gallon has been established for 2 years, the 16 gallon has been set up since July, when doing water changes I always add prime to the new buckets of water, I also sometimes use api QuickStart because it helped me to get rid of the ammonia in my 5 gallon tank years ago when I was figuring out the cycling process, I use an Aqueon quietflow Filter Iím not sure which one because the tank was a gift from my uncle but it uses large filter cartridges and Iím assuming itís used for 20-30 gallons because he got it in the aquarium set
Okay did you change cartridges before you noticed the ammonia, even you have cartridge filters all your nitrifying bacteria gets thrown away when you change them which is why I recommend everyone to modify cartridge filters with a pre-filter and adding media to the filter.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Okay did you change cartridges before you noticed the ammonia, even you have cartridge filters all your nitrifying bacteria gets thrown away when you change them which is why I recommend everyone to modify cartridge filters with a pre-filter and adding media to the filter.

I havenít changed the cartridges for probably over a month
Old 08-07-2018, 08:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't worry about nitrate, it's the most misunderstood out of all the tests and api has the most unreliable test out there for nitrate, here's the thing, ammonia turns into ammonium when dosed with prime, it still shows up in the test but ammonium is not toxic
Old 08-07-2018, 08:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Don't worry about nitrate, it's the most misunderstood out of all the tests and api has the most unreliable test out there for nitrate, here's the thing, ammonia turns into ammonium when dosed with prime, it still shows up in the test but ammonium is not toxic

Iíll dose the tanks and see if thereís a change over the next few days

Tags
ammonia, ammonia spike, spike

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com