Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-07-2018, 07:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 15
Why am I getting Ammonia spikes?

Hello! Iíve recently cycled a 16 gallon tank and Iíve had an established 5 gallon tank for a few years now, last Saturday I did a water change which is usual about every other week or so and both of those tanks spiked up with ammonia right after and Iím just wondering why, in my 5 gallon tank I had a pea puffer but I had to remove it due to the spikes and it not doing well at all, I think it might die, I have a 29 gallon tank too but that seems to be going fine. Does anyone have any ideas on maybe why Iím having ammonia spikes?
__________________

__________________
kaileymag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Potluck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaileymag View Post
Hello! Iíve recently cycled a 16 gallon tank and Iíve had an established 5 gallon tank for a few years now, last Saturday I did a water change which is usual about every other week or so and both of those tanks spiked up with ammonia right after and Iím just wondering why, in my 5 gallon tank I had a pea puffer but I had to remove it due to the spikes and it not doing well at all, I think it might die, I have a 29 gallon tank too but that seems to be going fine. Does anyone have any ideas on maybe why Iím having ammonia spikes?
How new are the tanks setup? Are you conditioning the new water you're adding back into the tank? Are you overcleaning? Are you using any chemicals to wipe down the OUTSIDE of the glass.

I would add prime to the tank that detoxifies ammonia into ammonium, you should always condition the water you're adding back into the tank, could be poor surface for nitrofying bacteria to grow on, what filters are you running.

first thing is if the tanks are new and not cycled you need to do water changes every other day with prime (best water conditioner on the market in my opinion), leave filters alone.

Please respond with
how new the tanks are?
What filtration?
What water conditioner you use?
__________________

__________________
Rick
Potluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 15
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0053.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	310010 hereís a picture of my levels, the two middle tubes are my ammonia and before they were zero
__________________
kaileymag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potluck View Post
How new are the tanks setup? Are you conditioning the new water you're adding back into the tank? Are you overcleaning? Are you using any chemicals to wipe down the OUTSIDE of the glass.

I would add prime to the tank that detoxifies ammonia into ammonium, you should always condition the water you're adding back into the tank, could be poor surface for nitrofying bacteria to grow on, what filters are you running.

first thing is if the tanks are new and not cycled you need to do water changes every other day with prime (best water conditioner on the market in my opinion), leave filters alone.

Please respond with
how new the tanks are?
What filtration?
What water conditioner you use?


The 5 gallon has been established for 2 years, the 16 gallon has been set up since July, when doing water changes I always add prime to the new buckets of water, I also sometimes use api QuickStart because it helped me to get rid of the ammonia in my 5 gallon tank years ago when I was figuring out the cycling process, I use an Aqueon quietflow Filter Iím not sure which one because the tank was a gift from my uncle but it uses large filter cartridges and Iím assuming itís used for 20-30 gallons because he got it in the aquarium set
__________________
kaileymag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Potluck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaileymag View Post
Attachment 310010 hereís a picture of my levels, the two middle tubes are my ammonia and before they were zero
Okay test the tap water for ammonia , get seachem prime dose the tank, do more frequent water changes, what's your nitrite? What filters you using?
__________________
Rick
Potluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potluck View Post
Okay test the tap water for ammonia , get seachem prime dose the tank, do more frequent water changes, what's your nitrite? What filters you using?


Nitrite is Zero and nitrate is around 40 so it seems to need another water change
__________________
kaileymag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Potluck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaileymag View Post
The 5 gallon has been established for 2 years, the 16 gallon has been set up since July, when doing water changes I always add prime to the new buckets of water, I also sometimes use api QuickStart because it helped me to get rid of the ammonia in my 5 gallon tank years ago when I was figuring out the cycling process, I use an Aqueon quietflow Filter Iím not sure which one because the tank was a gift from my uncle but it uses large filter cartridges and Iím assuming itís used for 20-30 gallons because he got it in the aquarium set
Okay did you change cartridges before you noticed the ammonia, even you have cartridge filters all your nitrifying bacteria gets thrown away when you change them which is why I recommend everyone to modify cartridge filters with a pre-filter and adding media to the filter.
__________________
Rick
Potluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potluck View Post
Okay did you change cartridges before you noticed the ammonia, even you have cartridge filters all your nitrifying bacteria gets thrown away when you change them which is why I recommend everyone to modify cartridge filters with a pre-filter and adding media to the filter.


I havenít changed the cartridges for probably over a month
__________________
kaileymag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Potluck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,974
Don't worry about nitrate, it's the most misunderstood out of all the tests and api has the most unreliable test out there for nitrate, here's the thing, ammonia turns into ammonium when dosed with prime, it still shows up in the test but ammonium is not toxic
__________________
Rick
Potluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potluck View Post
Don't worry about nitrate, it's the most misunderstood out of all the tests and api has the most unreliable test out there for nitrate, here's the thing, ammonia turns into ammonium when dosed with prime, it still shows up in the test but ammonium is not toxic


Iíll dose the tanks and see if thereís a change over the next few days
__________________

__________________
kaileymag is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ammonia, ammonia spike, spike

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ammonia Spikes amosora Member Introductions 4 07-01-2011 01:16 AM
Ammonia Spikes Phlex Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 16 03-03-2011 01:44 AM
random ammonia spikes? hbeth82 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 17 10-24-2009 10:04 PM
What causes mini ammonia spikes? Capella Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 6 07-31-2008 08:19 AM
Adding more sands will cause ammonia spikes? weekf Saltwater Reef Aquaria 2 10-20-2006 11:16 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.