Why are my carnidal tetras not a school anymore?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martintanks91

Aquarium Advice Freak
When i first put them im they used to swim in a school all other her and now a few weeks later they swim seperatly all over the tank? You cant really tell in the pic though, its a 80 gallon ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399245839.554355.jpg

They are most likely comfortable enough in their environment that they are confident in exploring on their own, they will probably re join for feedings and new introductions..

For the most part, my cardinals don't completely school either. Usually 6 out of the 10 stick somewhat close together. Then another will join them and one will leave. Sometimes, 1 or 2 of them will hang out with my 3 guppies. There is one that hangs out with my angelfish sometimes.

I have no good grounds for comparison as I currently house a cardinal, 2 neons and 4 green neons haha, they seem to be buddies though..

I agree that they are just more comfortable and feel less threatened.
But how has no one commented on how cool that tank is!

You could try adding a few larger peaceful fish. My tetras stick pretty close together with my ram and apistos cruising around. Some angels or a pearl gourami would look great in your tank.

Schooling Fish

When i first put them im they used to swim in a school all other her and now a few weeks later they swim seperatly all over the tank? You cant really tell in the pic though, its a 80 gallon View attachment 236083

Hello martin...

Surely someone has given you the answer. It's because schooling fish only school when they feel threatened. If they become accustomed to their environment and no longer feel that they're in danger, they don't school.

This just means you have a safe tank with no threat to your Tetras or whatever species of schooling fish you keep.

B

Thanks for all the answers, can u tell me if my pearl goirami is Male or female? I need to know because im gonna put in a opaline gourami and i dont want them to be Both malesImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399305472.291106.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399305492.070756.jpg

Thanks for all the answers, can u tell me if my pearl goirami is Male or female? I need to know because im gonna put in a opaline gourami and i dont want them to be Both malesView attachment 236154View attachment 236155

Careful...Opalines and all 3 Spots can be mean. It's a big tank, but pretty open so far. Not a lot of hiding places.

Try adding more real or fake floating plants or some more tall growing real or fake plants.

Yes, very cool tank !
Read up on 3 Spots ( Opaline is just a color phase) and have a backup plan and tank in case it tries to kill your Pearl.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Careful...Opalines and all 3 Spots can be mean. It's a big tank, but pretty open so far. Not a lot of hiding places.

Try adding more real or fake floating plants or some more tall growing real or fake plants.

Yes, very cool tank !
Read up on 3 Spots ( Opaline is just a color phase) and have a backup plan and tank in case it tries to kill your Pearl.

^ x2. All of the Three Spot color morphs can be pretty nasty. They do best if there's more than just two of them in there, as the larger numbers help diffuse aggression among the group, but I still can't recommend keeping them together. I kept one pearl with 5 three spot morphs (all females) for over 2 years, but one day the Pearl just got totally wrecked. No idea what set them off, or if the Red Tail Black Shark was the one who did it (again, had all been living together with zero issues), but came home one day to see bite marks all over the poor Pearl that weren't there that morning.

Your gourami appears to be a young male. Females don't show any signs of red along the chest/lower jaw area. His coloration and finnage should start growing in by around 6-8 months if so.

Opaline looks female to me too. Depending on your Pearl's personality, he may bully the Opaline. Pearls are usually more peaceful, but in my experience the males still won't tolerate anything other than females of their own kind. I had a male Pearl with my Three Spot morph females and had to swap him for a female when he refused to let any of the girls come out of this one corner of my 75 gallon. The females all seemed to get along for a couple years until the already mentioned recent tiff.

Thanks for the advise, i introduced the opaline a few hoursImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399337971.268084.jpg ago and the pearl swims next to it all the time, and just looks at him, is that a good sign?

Thanks for the advise, i introduced the opaline a few hoursView attachment 236241 ago and the pearl swims next to it all the time, and just looks at him, is that a good sign?

Ehhh, hard to tell at this stage. They tend to do a bit of sizing each other up on the first day or so. See how they do by the end of the week for a better idea. That said, they still could snap at any point and decide they're just done with each other.

Back
Top Bottom