Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Question why are my dads guppys so miserable?

My elderly Dad has a small tank that I set up and cycled for him. He has had it since since Xmas with 3x silver tip tetras, 3x neon tetras and 2x of my young peppered corys. All going great then he said he wanted a couple of my male guppys (I've got loads) but since I put them in his tank (2 days ago) they have just been hanging about in the top corner of the tank and not interested in food even. Did 30% water change, but no difference.
Any suggestions appreciated.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What size is the tank that they are in? From what I know about most tetras, is that they are fin nippers. How do your male guppies' tails look? What are your water levels looking like?

Old 01-30-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

1. What size is the tank
2. What are the water parameters (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate) and did anyone possibly add water without conditioning it? (Dad?)
3.Do they have any other symptoms (spots, sunken belly, ragged fins, fading color etc.)

My gut is to say the water is probably off, but this information would really help in figuring it out.
venymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I am going over tomorrow with test kit. But all other fish are fine. No sign of any aggression from the tetras. I agree, I sounded like ammonia to me, but wouldn't that affect the others?
Old 01-30-2014, 10:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If the other fish became tolerant of the water parameters over time they wouldnt show signs of unhealthiness.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

O.K. so this is really weird! I tested water at Dads and everything ok, bu the boys looked so miserable hiding in the corner behind the filter that I brought them home. Here's the strange bit, I put them in my community tank so that I could keep an eye on them and they were behaving the same, so I moved them back into my tank of all male guppies and instantly they were fine.
To satisfy my curiosity I put 2 other of my boys into the the community tank and they were fine there. Conclusion is that the 2 that went to Dads didn't like going on 'holiday' LOL
Old 01-31-2014, 05:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Looks like have decided to mark your tank as home.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you observed the behaviour of the Silver Tips? Mine were so fast and aggressive that I eventually removed them; the tank is now calm again. The STs also behaved badly in my QT when I was waiting to rehome them. They now live in a tank with feistier fish and now know there place.

Tags
guppy, sera

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com