why are my fish acting funny?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

creno9210

Aquarium Advice Activist
Couple of my platy fish are hiding all day. This is pretty unusual for them.
Water levels are normal. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394055854.868100.jpg

They're not pregnant. I don't have any males anymore. I've had the same "family" for a few years. So idk what's up. Maybe they're going to die. ? "ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394055904.873090.jpg

Well 100% water change about a week ago. I had to lie my tank.

If it was the water change you might have expected problems to happen sooner. But perhaps the severe water change messed with your bacteria colonies.

What are normal water levels. What are you testing?

That's not so good. You haven't tested for ammonia? At the least you have a nitrite spike going on

No the test strips I have don't yet for ammonia. ;/ does that just call for a water change?

I just took out about 7-8 gallons.
I kept my filter cartridge.

Yes, I do need to buy the liquid test kit. How much are those? I thought I saw one at walmart and it was around $25? Dang, that's a can of formula. Lol. Literally. They're $25.
Well if I beg hubby I maybe can pick it up tonight.

Any specific brand? I've never used them before. Always used the dip strip.

Yes, obviously keep your filter cartridge. You don't want to clean it either. If it gets really gunky just rinse it in tank water.

API kits are great and you can do a ton of tests before you have to buy more. I haven't yet bought my second after a few years...once through cycling you don't have to test as frequently. The API master test kit would be ideal (and save you money in the long run) however if you need to start small at least get ammonia and nitrite kits. Those are the two bad guys that you really want to know if they are in your tank!

If you can, a dechlorinator which detoxifies ammonia/nitrite will help get your fish through the cycle. I use prime. I think Amquel does that too...

Won't frequent water changes cycle my tank?
Once a week?

If you clean your filter pad in tap water the chemicals which kill the bacteria to make it safe to drink, kill the bacteria which process waste in your water.

So if you did the 100% water change and nothing else, it could be a difference in the pH or something else. But if you changed all the water AND cleaned the media or replaced the filter pad, you lost your BB and will be in a pretty much new cycle. There is residual bb on tank glass and a little on rocks and decorations, but not really enough to process food and fish waste.

Generally you do a deep clean of substrate say one time, the another time clean all inside glass, then another time clean the filter with treated water, either a combination of removed tank water slosh and swish or for a little better rinse, then rinse in some fresh, clean treated tank water.

That way all areas of BB wouldn't be lost at the same time. Just kind of a triple safety net.

I might also skip a days feeding and be careful to not over feed for a bit to see if they perk up.

Chances are a pwc will see them perk up. due to the water quality.

Last edited:
They're still hanging out at the bottom but a lot more active than yesterday. Thank you guys.

I won't feed them today.

I didn't clean the filter media at all. So I'm confused at having to recycle my tank. It's been set up for years! I recently like a few weeks ago changed sand for play sand. My levels didn't change after that. I just had to move my tank because we got new hardwood floors, ave decided to keep the tank in the living room so I don't freak them out with another 100% wc.

I didn't clean the filter media at all. So I'm confused at having to recycle my tank. It's been set up for years! I recently like a few weeks ago changed sand for play sand. My levels didn't change after that.

Well as AutumnSky said there could be any number of parameters changed stressing out your fish during a 100% change. Same for the bacteria. While you were doing the 100% water change did the filter dry out, cool down? not enough oxygen? Maybe the bacteria didn't like the sudden change in temperature/pH/hardness/whatever any more than the fish did. Like I said, could be anything, but now you've just got to deal with the mini cycle. Which means test test test particularly for that ammonia/nitrite

They're still hanging out at the bottom but a lot more active than yesterday. Thank you guys.

I won't feed them today.

I didn't clean the filter media at all. So I'm confused at having to recycle my tank. It's been set up for years! I recently like a few weeks ago changed sand for play sand. My levels didn't change after that. I just had to move my tank because we got new hardwood floors, ave decided to keep the tank in the living room so I don't freak them out with another 100% wc.

Changing the substrate gave me a mini cycle too, which shocked me also.:eek: Just keep testing and doing pwc to keep good water quality. I would feed less for a while, or just small amounts a couple times a day. Clean water is their friend.

Back
Top Bottom