Why are my fishies dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigQFan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Here's the deal....I just dirted my 29 gallon, well established tank. After rehoused all my fish all that was left was 5 dwarf neon rainbows. After a few days of all tests being good, I brought home a 6th rainbow. A few days later that one died. Then 2 of my older neons died. The only thing that seems off with my parameters is it appears I have 0 nitrates. Ammonia and nitrites are zero as well.
If it helps to know this is a moderately planted tank

Did you use organic soil? It is likely that there was some sort of additive that has been leeching in your tank from the soil and took a while to build up. I've seen copper in some fertilizers and soils so that is a possibility.

I used what everyone talks about...Miracle Gro Organic blah blah blah. I dirted my 20long about a month to 6 weeks earlier and everybody was fine

I suppose it's possible, I considered it myself, but i hate to think that cuz I bought from a very reputable LFS

So, lets assume it is a disease that was brought into tank. I have only 2 rainbows in tank and one pleco. Do I just do daily water changes for the next few weeks?

Look for any suspicious sighns and I guess water changes would be the best for now

Are there any outward signs that the remaining fish are sick? If not then water changes would be the right direction to go.

Everybody else seems healthy and happy, as far as I can tell anyway.

Back
Top Bottom