Why are my two angels fighting so much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lohoyan

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've has these two angels together since they were juveniles in my 66 gallon, they are about adult now. They've been sparing a little for some time but lately they seem to square of and go at each other for hours each day. There doesn't seem to be one stronger or more aggressive than the other, they seem about equal so far. It looks like they actually nip each other but they don't seem to have any actual bites marks or ripped up skin that I can see.

Is this normal for angels, am I going to have to separate them?

Thanks

I think that it is normal, but not good. They are trying to establish who is the boss. I don't know how your tank looks like, but adding plants, ornaments, rocks to break their line of sight will help them to reduce the aggression.

I have one piece of driftwood and lots of plants but none of them are very tall yet. Hopefully they'll get tall soon. The angels mostly hang out together anyway whether they are fighting or not. I just don't want to end up with one bully angel and one scared angel that hides all the time. I could put one in my 20 gallon but that's probably a bite small.

Its normal. Angels get territorial as they mature and one tries to become the 'alpha' fish. You can separate them, but you should have actually started with 3-4 to help alleviate the issue in the future. Don't know what your stocking level is like, but if you can add 1-2 more, u might be in good shape. I have 13 and they still fight. Angels are actually little devils in disguise.

My lfs today gave me an adult angel that they had accepted as a refugee from someone. So now I have three. So far not too much drama, the new one is mostly ignoring the others at the moment. No idea what gender any of them are, I read that it is extremely difficult to determine their sex until they start breeding. It looks healthy except for one thing, it's mouth seems kind of pale, puffy and kind of ragged. I hope it will heal whatever it is. I wonder if it came out of an unhealthy tank. Is it true that in order for angels to form breeding pairs they must grow up together?

125. My angels will lay eggs at least every 2 weeks and especially after a water change. I just like the schooling effect they give.

i raise and sell angels . i have 2 pair in a 55 and sometimes they cross paths and fight but never harm one another.i also have about 40 small ones in a 55 that are about quarter size and its funny to watch them grow up. i do a 30% water change 1 time a week with a little colder water than whats in the tank and usualy after the second week i have eggs like crazy. i wish u good luck in breeding yours .

Maybe I'll try that cooler water trick some time. With my luck I probably have three males though, lol. They are interesting fish though, they seem aware of what's going on outside the tank, they see me coming and know to expect food.

well not nowen as a true fact but male angels will have a hump on there head and frmales will have a strait down forhead. agian not always true but i use this methed

No, they do not have to grow up together to pair up. I've added an adult female with an adult male and had eggs within a few weeks. Once they start, they won't stop, and they'll give you eggs within about 10 days of the last batch being gone. They may terrorize the rest of your tank during this time. Some breeding pairs don't work in a community setting, but some will be OK. Since you have three now, it's likely two will pair up and bully the other. I would be prepared for the possiblity of rehoming one. More often than not, three angels together long term doesn't work.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom