Why are some tanks called Breeder Tanks..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christerrell2k3

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there, i am usually a outcast and just read articles, and forum post's and have learned so much information, but one thing still bugs the hell out of me, what is the difference of a 45 gallon breeder tank and a normal one??? ahh im gonna go insane...
:?

Although I don't recall the exact measurements, the breeder tank is shallow and wide. For example a regular 45 might be 36" long by 12" wide by 24" deep and a 45 breeder might be 48" long by 18" wide by 12" deep.

Probably, if you don't mind the way it looks. The advantage to breeder tanks is that they have a greater surface area. This gives them much better gas exchange at the surface than a deep narrow tank. Surface area is much more important than capacity in gallons when figuring the fish load a tank can handle...within reason of course. If you'll notice, when a tank is advertised as a "show" tank, it will usually be a very tall tank designed to show off the fish instead of providing a large surface area. Nothing wrong with show tanks...you just have to be careful about overstocking them.

Does this sound like a good deal -

35 gallon breeder tank with light - $100

or

45 gallon breeder tank with light $118

Just twenty extra bucks for 10 more gallons? In principle this sounds good. Mind you, get your canopy at www.drsfostersmith.com for cheaper!! Check the measurement for the top of the tank and gauge by those, not by the size.

I think you'll find that Drs. Foster and Smith sell your canopy for about 1/2 what you're going to be paying at the LFS. I'd recommend Bigals.com, but they don't sell full canopies.

I think that is a decent deal. I got a 45 gal breeder for $100 with the hinged glass top and the AllGlass pine stand, but no light. I don't mind the deep nature of the breeder tank, as this one is generally viewed sitting down. If you have one in an area where you view it standing, it is not as satisfactory. It is better for the fish to establish territories in a "deeper" tank like a breeder, as my 55 is so very narrow, and it makes it difficult to plant as well (see my gallery - the 55 is overrun with plants, though there is really not that much in there!).

I agree with Sati. A spectaculat aquarium Tankgirl!!!

Back
Top Bottom