Why cant i get to 86 degrees?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everyone knows 64 degrees won't cure ich. 84 is just fine, actually to cure ich it needs to be 82 or higher to speed the 3 life cycle of the ich.

that was a typo im sure, 84 will speed up the life cycle but wont be hot enough to actually kill the ich on its own without medicine. 86 is the lowest, im going through ich as well in my ten gallon and have done a lot of reading on this.

a.tetreault said:
that was a typo im sure, 84 will speed up the life cycle but wont be hot enough to actually kill the ich on its own without medicine. 86 is the lowest, im going through ich as well in my ten gallon and have done a lot of reading on this.

Sorry but not true, it took me 2-3 weeks 82-84 to kill ich in my planted 30 long. My temperature was always between 82-84 degrees. You can't go by what others say, I can asure a lot of them aren't talking from experience just by reading from others just like yourself.

alex07 said:
Everyone knows 64 degrees won't cure ich. 84 is just fine, actually to cure ich it needs to be 82 or higher to speed the 3 life cycle of the ich.

To cure with heat alone it needs to stop the life cycle not just speed it up.
It has been found that Ich does not infect new fish at 29.4°C/85°F (Johnson, 1976), stops reproducing at 30°C/86°F (Dr. Nick St. Erne, DVM, pers. comm.), and dies at 32°C/89.5°F (Meyer, 1984), [1]

I have completely cured ich at 86F twice. Took two weeks that was 8-9 months ago. That's my personal experience.

Last edited:
alex07 said:
Sorry but not true, it took me 2-3 weeks 82-84 to kill ich in my planted 30 long. My temperature was always between 82-84 degrees. You can't go by what others say, I can asure a lot of them aren't talking from experience just by reading from others just like yourself.

To be honest. I did manage to kill ich from my 55g tank with 86 degrees. Personally I never tried 84 but from research 86 most likely will do the trick.

Having fought Ich myself numerous times they only way i finally got rid of it was to raise the temp to 88 and leave it there for a few weeks. I tried to get rid of it at 82, 84, then finally i just went to 88. 82 will speed up the life cycle but other than that it won't do anything but give it a nice warm bath.

Good news!!

So today when I got home my tank was miraculously at 86. Now let's just hope it stays there

So I'm on day 5 of 86 degrees and each day my fish are getting more and more spots... Is this normal for ich treatment? Does it get worse before it gets better? I don't want my fish to die. Should I just break down and get the meds? I would hate to have done all this for nothing

Mumma.of.two said:
Be patient. :) it does get worse before it gets better. You should see an improvement soon.

Thank you.... Fingers crossed... I've been doing daily water changes too so I just hope it passes soon

My fish actually turned out looking a lot better then when they started off from doing the heat treatment, I'm about half way through, all spots are gone just waiting it out to make sure it's completely gone. The only one who hasn't taken the treatment all that well is my apple snail but he is doing okay.

My fish actually turned out looking a lot better then when they started off from doing the heat treatment, I'm about half way through, all spots are gone just waiting it out to make sure it's completely gone. The only one who hasn't taken the treatment all that well is my apple snail but he is doing okay.

My fish are looking great! All the spots are gone and I'm just waiting it out for another week o make sure it's gone for good too. What's going on with your snail?

His shell is looking a little odd and he isn't really as active as he used to be, still seems okay for now tho. Im hoping that once the temperature is back to normal he will start looking better

a.tetreault said:

How long did you wait? I'm at a week ich free now... Should be good now right?

Back
Top Bottom