Why can't saltwater lights be used in freshwater aquariums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jetajockey said:
No, I'm saying if you are buying new, why not buy the fixture with the right bulbs in it in the first place instead of buying a fixture with the wrong bulbs and then having to purchase the correct bulbs along with it.

+ 1 it would be cheaper to buy it new with the right bulbs. Usually bulbs cost at least $15 each.

He's right I can't believe I didn't think about that. Coralife has a freshwater version of that same light fixture with a color max and 6700K bulb LOL. I have a 24" one on my tank.
Don't worry bout some of the reviews on amazon sometimes people don't know what there're talking about. Thats what these forums are for to answer any questions you might have about the hobby.

He's right I can't believe I didn't think about that. Coralife has a freshwater version of that same light fixture with a color max and 6700K bulb LOL. I have a 24" one on my tank.
Don't worry bout some of the reviews on amazon sometimes people don't know what there're talking about. Thats what these forums are for to answer any questions you might have about the hobby.
Oh well, too late now. It's been shipped. But the light may come in handy when I convert to saltwater in a few years.

aqua_chem said:
I don't think T5NOs are going to cut it in a reef tank though.

+ 1 unless there is at least 4 bulbs and they are high wattage, you won't be able to grow many corals.

phoenixkiller said:
Would it keep live rock alive? I'm not going reef until I have a house and a real job. (In maybe a decade if i'm lucky)

Yes, LR doesn't really need much light to survive.

Back
Top Bottom