Why did my nitrite and ammonia spike randomly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GallonsOfFun

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my tank has been cycled for nearly a month now. I watched the water parameters like a hawk during and the two weeks following the cycle - everything as expected. I didn't check the water for about a week (so the last time I chekced it was 3 weeks after it cycled) and I went to check it today and I had 1ppm nitrite and .25ppm ammonia.

It's a 55 gallon and only has 4 tiger barbs in it currently, so the sudden spike is strange. I don't overfeed and I've been feeding the same amount. I do a 50% pwc every week.

The only thing I can think of is that I added 4 small plants and some duckweed, all of which has begun to die upon inspection today. Half the plants have been in there for 2 weeks and the other half for a week. Could their decomposition have caused the spike?

I have removed them and done a 50% water change.

Last edited:
Anyone? Do you think it was the plants or do I have another issue at hand?

How did you cycle your tank?
IMO decaying plants can cause a nutrient spike but a cycled tank should not have registered ammonia or nitrite unless the dead plants were numerous.
How long ago did you add the barbs.

Fish-in cycle. The barbs have been in there for about a month and a half - the bio load hasn't changed at all which is why I'm confused. I think I misread the ammonia reading, that was at 0 but the nitrite wasn't.

The bacteria that convert nitrite to nitrate take longer to grow than the ones that convert ammonia.
With only 4 fish your biofilter is probably still being established and the decaying plant matter was probably just enough to cause some nitrite to pile up.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

Oh that makes sense. So the tank was fully cycled in the sense that the bacterial colony was large enough to deal with the 4 fish, but couldn't handle the added nitrite the decaying plant matter caused?

Right, once the planet material is removed nitrite should go back to normal

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom