Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2014, 10:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Why do I have to do the same water changes????

If I have a million fish (not really but a lot) in a 40 gal tank, and do a 25/50% water change weekly, WHY do I have to do the same in a 125 gal with TWO fish in it? The fish are bigger but only about 7/8 inches not big! I think I can get away with once a month. Why can't i????

Thanks y'all always help me. I wouldn't make without y'all,

Old 02-06-2014, 10:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Bioload. Two big goldfish or plecos or oscars, for example, probably generate more waste than a 40 full of tetras. And, there are some folks who do monthly water maintenance rather than weekly. If you're nowhere near fully stocked or you have enough plants that the nitrates stay under control without weekly attention, that's fine.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have 2 7/8" Jacks. 125 gal. When I clean the gravel it's nothing.... Filters are a little dirty... But I think weekly is too much. I will try 2 weeks then 3 weeks and keep checking to water.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to The Trooper
Candi, do you have a liquid test kit? I would just test the water weekly and whenever nitrates start getting higher than 20ppm (some say 30, other 40) start considering doing a water change on the tank.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trooper View Post
Candi, do you have a liquid test kit? I would just test the water weekly and whenever nitrates start getting higher than 20ppm (some say 30, other 40) start considering doing a water change on the tank.
+1

Monitor until you know how fast the nitrates are rising. Weekly may not be necessary but do choose a timeframe that's easy to remember or use a reminder tool so you don't forget. Lots of folks get neglectful either because they never developed a habit of regular water changes or they get busy and the fish lose their priority.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnfinfan View Post
+1

Monitor until you know how fast the nitrates are rising. Weekly may not be necessary but do choose a timeframe that's easy to remember or use a reminder tool so you don't forget. Lots of folks get neglectful either because they never developed a habit of regular water changes or they get busy and the fish lose their priority.

I change weekly and my nitrates are always high in all my tanks! Yes I have a master kit. I hope it's something with my kit my nitrates stay at 80. I will try to stretch every two weeks and see.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

There are many other toxins that build up in the water besides nitrates. Doing WC's based on a tanks nitrate reading is not a good idea IMO. Awhile back AquaChem posted this in a discussion about doing WC's:

"How confident are you that nitrogenous waste, phosphates, and GH / KH are the only thing that builds up? Don't make the mistake of confusing undetectable/unmeasureable with not there.

Fish don't just excrete ammonia. They excrete many, many organic molecules (metabolites, proteins, etc) that could potentially be toxic. These compounds could have a number of potentially hazardous effects on a tank, such as (and completely made up on the spot): noxious to fish gills, bioaccumulation, or fueling dangerous (or unsightly) heterotrophic bacteria or algae species like cyanobacteria."

You also stated you always have high nitrates so have you tested your tap water to see if there are any nitrates present? What type filters do you have and how often do you clean them?

I've been in the hobby since the 70's and do 50% WC's in all my tanks regardless of tank size or bio-load. Since I have tanks up to 220g I use an Aqueon Water Changer which makes my WC's much easier.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats View Post
Since I have tanks up to 220g I use an Aqueon Water Changer which makes my WC's much easier.
Indeed an Aqueon WC helps a ton. If $50 is too much to drop on a 50 ft Water Changer, I suggest only buying the main part that attaches to the sink and then going to Home Depot and buying 2x 20 ft vinyl tubing with a coupling. Total cost would be $22 or so, which in the end you're saving quite a bit. Only thing you'd be missing is the big plastic tube, but to be honest I just turn the suction to full blast for 1 minute and all the feces suck up the tube when you put it about 1 inch above the substrate, then turn off the faucet and allow it to drain naturally.
(Vid Coming Soon)
SonicsDC25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a 75 foot python (i think thats the name). I couldnt do a water change without it. I toted buckets and siphoned when i had 2 30 gallons and it killed me.

I carbon filters. Dont know what kind of pumps but i know they hall have carbon filters i learned not to change them i rinse them in tank water, but i last changed them a couple of months ago.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

My advice would be to test your tap water nitrates (as someone previously advised). My guess is that the nitrates in your tap water are higher than expected

Tags
ate, change, water, water change, water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com