Why do my fish stay on one side of the tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Millerman

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank is very lightly stocked with only 5 black phantom tetra, a rainbow shark and a swordtail but I never see them swimming one side of the tank. They all hang out by the rainbowshark's cave which I find odd because I would think he would chase them off. I've also noticed that they all rush off and hide when I walk in my room so I find my self tippy toeing in so I can look at them. Is their a reason for this behavior I don't beat them? I would think they would enjoy their 4 feet of swimming room.

My tank is very lightly stocked with only 5 black phantom tetra, a rainbow shark and a swordtail but I never see them swimming one side of the tank. They all hang out by the rainbowshark's cave which I find odd because I would think he would chase them off. I've also noticed that they all rush off and hide when I walk in my room so I find my self tippy toeing in so I can look at them. Is their a reason for this behavior I don't beat them? I would think they would enjoy their 4 feet of swimming room.

How long have you had them. Do you spend a lot of time in this room?

Is the current to powerful, is the tank too hot or too cold?

What are your water parameters ie ammonia nitrite and nitrate? What is your ph?

Do you have live plants? Do you have a background? Do you have other places of security around the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What caliban said, it's got to be some simple variable, some fish are just skittish in smaller numbers.. i have 5 hex. Barbs that have constantly hidden since I got them over a year ago.. ehh..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In my experience black phantom tetras can be shy if they're small or new to the tank. I can't think of a suspect in terms of fish that would cause this so most likely it's conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have also witnessed black phantoms being very shy in some circumstances. Some fish do better with a fair bit of plant cover. If all of your parameters are in order, I would look into adding more coverage for them.

There is lots of hiding places on the other side and plants all the fish just stay near the rock cave. They are just skittish if I come near the tank or make any sudden movements. I'm hopping that when I get more fish they will more evenly fill the tank. The tank has a ok flow with two hob on each side and I think the temp is pretty even at 76. It is also just recently cycled but my parameters are good now.

There is lots of hiding places on the other side and plants all the fish just stay near the rock cave. They are just skittish if I come near the tank or make any sudden movements. I'm hopping that when I get more fish they will more evenly fill the tank. The tank has a ok flow with two hob on each side and I think the temp is pretty even at 76. It is also just recently cycled but my parameters are good now.

Are they on the opposite side of the tank that you approach it from? They may have learned that it's 'safer' to be on the side farthest away from where you come in. They should settle down to some extent but you really have to be around some fish a lot before they get used to you.

I also had 6 put one died I will be replacing him soon. They are on the other side of where I come in. They don't seem unhealthy just they are very jumpy. Im also having a hard time getting them to eat from the surface, they just wait untill the flakes sink.

I at one point had 10 black phantom tetras and they all stayed in one part of the tank when I walked in the room. But later they became comfortable with my presence and just swam around normally.

It sounds like they're just getting used to you. Once they realize that you = food giver, they should settle down. My cherry barbs used to do that too when I first moved them to a new tank. Now they crowd along the side of the tank facing where I walk in and do the begging dance instead of running ;)

I agree that you probably do not spend enough time in that room for them to be accustomed to you. I have two tanks in my computer room, which I spend about six hours a day in, give or take. The fish became used to my presence quickly--within two weeks, the friendlier types (like my female bettas, peacock gudgeons, dojo loaches and balloon mollies) came right up to the glass, eager to see me, not the least bit shy. I decided some time ago that I prefer the calmer, more "intelligent" acting fish that seem to be interested in me.

I do know that some tetras, sharks and swords can be a lot more skittish. I have Rainbowfish and even though they don't hide or huddle on one side of the tank, they are not the personable, friendly type of fish that my others are. They are very quick, and move away if I get super close to the glass, looking in. From now on, I am only going to keep friendly types, as I enjoy them so much more. But to each his own... I've had swords in the past, and didn't care for their personalities at all. Not only were many of them downright nasty to other fish, but they never seemed to "bond" with me at all, as the other types I have do. They remained fairly "wild" acting. I have two Honey Gouramis. One in my 20, and one in my 55. The one in the 55 is far friendlier and calmer than the other one, so sometimes its also just the individual fish, not necessarily the species as a whole that are shy/skittish. I find I also enjoy endlers a lot; even though they are pretty hyper, they don't show any fear of me.

I also agree that if you get more fish, they may very well feel more comfortable/safe swimming all over the tank, and not just staying in that corner. Remember, safety in numbers!

It might have to do with temp. (eg the heater is on one side of the tank)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've noticed they are getting a little less skittish and are figuring out where to eat from. They aren't near as friendly as my betta and don't come to the glass.

Not all come to the glass. Tetras and barbs will not.. cichlids and bettas will..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This may not answer your question but, i think you should get a upside down catfish.

Back
Top Bottom