why does everyone have snail problems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are there not any FW snails that DON'T reproduce like crazy and wind up in an 'infestation' situation?

I'd love to have a few, but I don't want to deal with dozens and doubt I have room in my 'lower section' for loaches for 'control'. . .

My ramshorn snail that I have had for several years now has never reproduced. Also nerite (olive) snails don't reproduce very quickly. They are not supposed to reproduce in a full FW aquarium but mine did, though in very manageable numbers.

No no, that's okay, Jchillin, I'm sure I figure a way to manage... :roll: My original snail-scapades started when I was propagating them for my dwarf puffers. I could not get them to multiply fast enough. Now whatever I have are leftovers.

Interesting thread!
I have lots (i guess hundreds) of those small snails that most probably came along
with plants... I didn't mind when there were just a few but now it's getting kind of
disgusting... I kinda like the idea of loaches (the yoyo is kinda cute), BUT: I have
read somewhere that loaches also eat plants? is that so? (I have no experience
with loaches), and that they can be aggressive fish...?

Anyone which has a good link to some site where I can read all about them, would
be greatly appreciated! I don't want to buy some and then regret it.

Loaches don't eat plants, but many of them burrow into the substrate and thereby uproot or otherwise disturb plants.

Me too, especially Martin Thoene's articles. :)

cJw said:
Are there not any FW snails that DON'T reproduce like crazy and wind up in an 'infestation' situation?

I'd love to have a few, but I don't want to deal with dozens and doubt I have room in my 'lower section' for loaches for 'control'. . .

cJw - Apple snails don't reproduce as quickly as most others. Unless you find one that is already fertilized, you can try a couple and have some fun! Here's some pics of Gary doing his thing:

If you look closely, Gary is "bubble surfing"...really cool to watch!

yeah, my clown loaches uprooted some of my rotala indica so i just buried it a little deeper into the substrate

I'm sure it's common knowledge, but I haven't seen it mentioned yet. Whenever I buy live plants, I had about a tablespoon of regular salt to the bag and swish it around to kill off all the snails and I have never had a problem.

Back
Top Bottom