Why does fish behavior change so radically?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosk1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Once you bring the fish home, they are much different fish than they were at the store. The two gouramis I have, in particular, are acting very differently at home than at the lfs. They hide out most of the time, and when they do come out to explore/eat, if they see a person, they immediately dart for cover. Granted, there was no cover to run for in the bare tank at the lfs, but they still seemed just more...I dunno...outgoing. They would be up at the front of the glass looking at people passing by instead of hiding in the back. Now, if they see a person, they run. Maybe this will go away somewhat in a couple of weeks.

The loaches are similar, but not as extreme. In the tank at the lfs, they rarely stopped moving. They all moved in a school from one end of the tank to the other, and back again. The reason for the difference in bahavior in that case may just be that there are only three instead of a whole school, but still.

Anyhow, I'm not really complaining. Just observing, and wondering why. Thoughts?

Give them a little time to adjust. Remember the tanks at the LFS are very unnatural settings for them. Give them plenty of places to hide and they will feel secure and you will see more of them not less. By the way when do we get to see some pics?

They will adjust. Also, when I had fewer hiding places, they were trying to hide more. But now that I have a lot of stuff in the tank (more hiding places), they stay out more. Since the big move to the big tank, I got my fire red dwarf gouramis and they tried hiding all the time. But since I put in all the new plastic plants and the big tall plastic bush, they are out almost all the time. In fact they stayed out today when I fed them. Just takes time, and more hiding places helps too, as they feel more secure.

rich311k said:
By the way when do we get to see some pics?

Just as soon as they start hanging out in the open instead of hiding. If I took pics now, they would look the same as the ones I posted of my tank before I got the fish. :p

But thanks for asking. I'll get some up soon. Actually, the two gouramis are getting a little frisky, and go at each other a little bit during feeding if they get in each other's way. They are both pretty tiny, and there is a larger male pearl gourami at the lfs that I've had my eye on for a couple of weeks that I may buy soon to keep their attitudes in check before they establish their own little territories and become little dictators. (I've heard the blue/gold/opaline varieties are more aggressive than the pearls, so I want a pearl or two that is/are significantly bigger so that they grow up knowing they can't push the pearls around and already have that mindset by the time they get to a size where they actually could push the pearl around. ...I think I'm way overanalyzing this. :D ) He's a gorgeous fish, so I'm sure I'll be taking quite a few pics of him if I end up getting him.

I love my pearl she is a pretty fish. Holds her own with the angels, actually she bosses them around. I think you will be fine.

I would love to have a male/female pair, but I can't seem to find any female pearls around here. I'll have to check Capitol tomorrow. I dunno...then again, there is a pair of roseline sharks at O Street that the owner will give me for $19.99, and maybe cheaper (*drools*), so maybe I might get them... Or maybe I should just slow the heck down and not fully stock my tank within a week... :D

Wait 1-2 weeks between adding fish, and only add 2-3 fish at a time max. Maybe get the pair of roseline sharks next week? Or 3 of them?

Yeah, I know. You're right. I just needed to hear it.

Regarding the sharks, I would like a small school of them, but... (1) I know I'm getting at least a male pearl gourami, and maybe a M/F pair, because my wife wants them; and (2) because I could not resist the clown loaches, I'm close to my stocking limit with 2 sharks. Now necessarily now, because all my fish are small--but I'm looking at adult size here (as I'm supposed to). Technically, given how big the clown loaches get, I'm probably a bit over. Let's see:
Blue gourami: 5 in.
Gold gourami: 5 in.
2 Pearl gouramis: 10 in. (males are 5-6; females 4-5, as I recall)
3 clown loaches: 36 in.
Rubberlip: 5 in.

That actually takes me to 60 inches of fish, without the sharks. Yeah, I'll move the loaches before they get max size (probably half size), and none of these fish are big polluters at all, except the pleco, and aren't big fish in terms of mass, so I'm probably not taxing my bioload too much with a pair of sharks (5 in. each) as long as I make the regular water changes. It doesn't seem like a lot of fish, but it's enough for my 55.

Clown loaches do get big, but they are also slow growers. So I feel adding the sharks will be no problem, and you'll have a lot of time before you need to make any changes. Look at my 2 fire eels, 36" each, and I have 2. lol. That's almost double my tank, lol. But in the 55G, I'll have 1-2 years before I need a bigger tank, 180G or bigger.

Since those sharks like to be in schools, they would probably be better off 3 or more, which I'm sure your tank won't be any problems with a small school.

Then 2-3 years down the road, or maybe longer, you can then decide what to do with the clown loaches.

What kind of filtration do you have? On my 55G I'm currently running the Emperor 400. Tuesday my order or the Filstar XP3 will be coming in, and will add it to the other end of the tank, as the Emperor doesn't seem to be doing a great job of removing the small particles, especially on the other end of the tank. Also, is your tank going to be planted? I just read the roseline sharks like heavily planted tanks as well, for lots of cover.

Hmm... Good thoughts on the sharks. So maybe only a single pearl gourami then? Or still go with the pair with 3 sharks?

As far as planted or not...yes, and no. I'm not going with real plants. At least, not yet. You can see from the hours I put in at work that fish alone will keep my hands full, without worrying about additional issues from plants. Maybe after I gain more experience. But my tanks is exceptionally "well-planted" for a fake plant tank: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=67027

Right now, pretty much my entire tank population hides in the large, bushy plant in the center, and it's hard for me to find them all. You may not be able to tell from the pictures, but that plant alone practicaly divides the tank in half. And there are lots of other hiding places as well. My new name for the big piece of multi-tiered fake driftwood in the center is "the loach condo." When I post pics of the tank with fish, it will be obvious why. But you can probably figure it out just from looking at the tank without fish.

You could still do the pair IMO. Won't be taxing on your filter.

If you did decide on some live plants, could do like I'm doing, a piece of driftwood with a little java moss on it, and even a java fern or 2. I'm going to try my hand next at the java ferns, maybe in one of the corners, tied to a piece of driftwood til it attaches itself. Those are probably the easiest for the beginner, and are low-light as well.

Our lfs has 2 giant gold gouramis and a giant blue one. All 3 are about 5 inches long each. Huge.... Was tempted to get the gold ones, but I told myself I wouldn't get any more, as my tank is about maxed til I get a bigger tank. lol. Isn't MTS wonderful? lol

And what's the next step? BIGGER!!!..... lol

Oh, and if it were me, now this is just how I am. I'd probably get 4 or 5 of the sharks if I had the fish you have, and still stick to the plan with the gouramis. But that's just me, especially if I know I'll need to do something with the clowns down the road a couple years or more. Those sharks look awsome.

Well, in this hobby at least, bigger is better!

Oh, and forgot to mention my filter. It's a whisper hob (came with kit). I forget which one, but believe it's rated for 60 gal. or so. You can tell it's not the sturdiest piece of equipment, but it seems to be doing a fine job.

Lonewolfblue said:
Oh, and if it were me, now this is just how I am. I'd probably get 4 or 5 of the sharks if I had the fish you have, and still stick to the plan with the gouramis. But that's just me, especially if I know I'll need to do something with the clowns down the road a couple years or more. Those sharks look awsome.

Yeah, but they're pricey for fw fish. 5 would be $100.

That filter should be ok then. And later you can always add a cannister if needed on the other end. I'll be replacing my powerhead with a cannister soon, and put the powerhead back over into the small tank to help the Emperor 280 like before.

bosk1 said:
Yeah, but they're pricey for fw fish. 5 would be $100.

True....

The Golden Dojo I had that I put to sleep today was $30.00, and the regular dojo was only $2.99. Some fish are spendy. But I love the hobby. :)

Sounds like you have a good plan going. And again, good job on the cycling. Will like to see pics once you get your stocking to what you want. Headed off to bed now. Later...

Back
Top Bottom