Why does my betta never flare?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
is he just alone? bettas only flare when they feel threatened and are ready to fight. its probably better that he isnt flaring. i'm assuming that when you say flare you mean flare his gills out? they do this to look mean!

They also have to consider the other fish a competitor. I know of someone who breeds bettas, and some of her boys only flare when theres a male betta bigger then them around (fussy buggers! Guess they feel the smaller ones aren't even worth the effort LOL).

Well how can I scare him really good just so I can see it one time?

Joking :)

He's my very first betta. I think he's so pretty with my Cardinals because of that red and turqoise.

Maybe hes just lazy. I have a few males who are like that. They only flare if once and a while, and only if I surround them with other males. Its really annoying when iam trying to take pictures!

ashley

Sati said:
Well how can I scare him really good just so I can see it one time?

Hi Holly,

The mirror trick DOES work. I mount a small make-up mirror on one of my glass-scrubbie brushes so I can put it right in the tank and hold it by the handle. - Frank/Guppyman

heh just like people all fish are different.. mine would flare up at anything and anyone.. just by walking past his tank. He lived for four years, tough little man, may wheatgerm RIP (one of the funniest fish I ahve ever had :cry: )

My betta is a terror in my tank, I have a fiddler crab and the thing is terrified of the betta! As are my cory's and pleco. At least he is mostly show and has never killed anything although he does strike when he gets really pissed off :)

Back
Top Bottom