Why does my tank stink?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fierflie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank has started taking on a really fowl smell since last night. It didn't stink last week or the week before. I don't understand why, I've been doing daily water changes and I even gave the ornaments a salt soak. If it matters at all, it's a ten gallon tank that is currently in-fish cycling.
Explanations and cures would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Do you use Seachem Prime? It's kinda stinky stuff. Smells like sulfur.

blert said:
Do you use Seachem Prime? It's kinda stinky stuff. Smells like sulfur.

Thank you, that's most likely the cause of it.

Tank Water Smell

Good morning Fier...

You can use a small carbon filter pad in your filter. It will help eliminate the odor. You can get a pad or a small bag of the carbon media at the local pet store.

B

Is your tank over-stocked? How are your water parameters? Are you vaccumming regularly? I encountered a similar stinky tank situation in the past doing fish-in cycling and i was able to remedy it through thorough regular vaccumming, reducing the number of fish, and lots of water changes (sometimes as often as 2x a day to keep the nitrites & ammonia under control and to keep my fish healthy). Dont know if this helps but its something to consider!

jlk said:
Is your tank over-stocked? How are your water parameters? Are you vaccumming regularly? I encountered a similar stinky tank situation in the past doing fish-in cycling and i was able to remedy it through thorough regular vaccumming, reducing the number of fish, and lots of water changes (sometimes as often as 2x a day to keep the nitrites & ammonia under control and to keep my fish healthy). Dont know if this helps but its something to consider!

I don't think my tank is over stocked. And I haven't had my water test for a while so I'm not sure how accurate the results are. I am doing constant water changes (20-40% once a day) and I am vacuuming regularly.

Ok-just a suggestion, if your doing fish-in cycling, i think its really important to keep a close eye on your tank parameters even while doing daily water changes. Its the only way your going to keep your fish healthy. If your nitrite spikes to 5 or higher (and your not testing it), a 20% pwc will have little effect on the levels. Do you have a API master test kit?

jlk said:
Ok-just a suggestion, if your doing fish-in cycling, i think its really important to keep a close eye on your tank parameters even while doing daily water changes. Its the only way your going to keep your fish healthy. If your nitrite spikes to 5 or higher (and your not testing it), a 20% pwc will have little effect on the levels. Do you have a API master test kit?

I don't. The aquarium store does water tests for free. And as a minor, I'm reliant on my parents to take me places. I'm getting it tested this weekend.

Ok! Let us know how things are going. It might be a good idea to up your water changes (atleast 50%) to keep your fish healthy until your aquarium is done cycling (keep this mantra in mind- "the solution to pollution is dilution"). Maybe your parents can help you out with getting a test kit so you can have a better idea whats going on. Please keep asking questions-its the only way to learn!

jlk said:
Ok! Let us know how things are going. It might be a good idea to up your water changes (atleast 50%) to keep your fish healthy until your aquarium is done cycling (keep this mantra in mind- "the solution to pollution is dilution"). Maybe your parents can help you out with getting a test kit so you can have a better idea whats going on. Please keep asking questions-its the only way to learn!

Thanks! I will, . All my fish are swimming around and eating their meals, so I take that as a good sign.

Most of the fish stores are using dip sticks for water conditions. You might ask your store what they use. Knowing that the full API kit is spendy, you may consider dip sticks with a minimum of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate a reasonable alternative while you save up for a liquid kit. No, they are not as exact as liquid, but they are reasonably safe to monitor spikes and don't cost a bunch. $10 or so at the major box fish stores, even less online, which can be delivered to your house so your parents don't have to be bothered.

Enjoy the tank!!!

Back
Top Bottom