Why does the beard grow back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jubei

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

This is becoming an on going problem for me, last month I took apart my tank because of a Beard algae problem. Now I sure I got the algae because of bad water quality, I had been neglecting the tank for a while do to school and work problem. But things are different now I have time and I'm doing every thing right, 50% water changes per week and I'm back to my water diary. [/b]But the algae has come back I think it's because my nitrate seems to be staying @ 10ppm and I can't lower it, I tryed 10% water changes for a week, nothing changed. All the other levels are perfect
pH 6.4
NH3 0
NO2 0
KH/GH 2 degrees
PO4 .25

so I bought another filter and hooked it up yesterday, [ is this the anwser?
What do I do? Now because of all the work I've been doing my fish are getting stressed out.

thanks for your time & help
Jubei

106G
eheim 2017 classic
(New) eheim 2028 pro

Have you tested your nitrate test kit? It could be a bad test kit causing you to think you have a nitrate level of 10 ppm. Get a bucket and dose it to 20 ppm and see what the test kit tells you.

The test kit is fine, I tested my tap water and my mothers tank both where 0ppm.
It's weird, I mean besides from the nitrate level I'm right where I want to be with everything else.

But like I said before the beard algae is on two plants and my piece of driftwood. I'm going to take them out, clean and cut off all leave with the algae on them. Is there any thing else I can do? Is the nitrate level why I have the algae? I've got questions, do you have awnsers?

thanks for your time and effort
Jubei

What is your fertilizer dosing routine. How much, how often and what product(s)?

I use Seachem flourish and flourish iron

flourish 5ml once a week
iron 5ml once every two weeks

but I stoped fertilizing three weeks ago when I saw algae starting again

you never mentioned lighting, or CO2. how much light,a nd are you injecting CO2?

I'd also change the flourish dosing to 1mL or so every other day. I never dose 5mL of Flourish in my 75gallon....ever...ever.

There's nothing wrong with 10ppm of nitrate...and in fact you probably want that to be the lowest level of nitrates in the tank. When I had beard algae infesting my 29gallon, my phosphates were 1.3ppm, and nitrate was definitely under 10ppm...close to 5ppm as near as I could tell off my test kit.

well,

I have three 96w 5000K bulbs and two 65w 50/50
as for co2, two bubbles per sec

I don't really understand how that could be? I've never herd anything like that before, can you explain?

thanks

The actinic part of the bulb does very little for plant growth. But the algae could very well be loving it.

As far as I know, and read the actinic blue does nothing for plant growth or algae growth. The only reason I use them is for color, I've always used them and never had a problem tell four months ago?

I don't now, I think I'm going to try to salvage some plants and start over again.
Is there anything ells I can do? I don't want to give up, but as each day passes it get worse exploentially!!!

There have been a couple of reports on the APD of the actinic lights causing algae growth.

I two had the dreaded issues with the bearded allege, I have a 150 gallon tank with two 150watt mH and a "250" watt PC. I also had a 60watt antic, it took about a week but that brearded allege stopped growing... I had to farm the rest out though.
From what i was able to gather about the antic light and the allege, the color spectrum was just what the allege needed and likes. my.02

Back
Top Bottom