Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Stotts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 50
Why does this happen?!?!

My stupid filter! Why does this keep happening?! It's so annoying!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387389411.781873.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	212534
__________________

__________________
Stotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rivers2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,694
what exactly are we looking at. Is it the sides keep coming up?
__________________

__________________
Rivers2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Stotts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers2k View Post
what exactly are we looking at. Is it the sides keep coming up?

Yeah the whole thing lifts up! I've tried taping it down but it still gets pushed up for some reason
__________________
Stotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
BBradbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,848
Hello Stotts...

The filter on the bottom is clogged, the water has nowhere to go and is pushing up the plastic frame. You need to clean the filter media more often or it will clog up with old plant material. If you're using the media that came with the filter, then drain off a little of the tank water and squeeze and rinse everything real well and put it back into the filter and top off the tank with some of your treated tap water.

B
__________________
"Fear not, my young apprentice. Just change the tank water."
BBradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Stotts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello Stotts...

The filter on the bottom is clogged, the water has nowhere to go and is pushing up the plastic frame. You need to clean the filter media more often or it will clog up with old plant material. If you're using the media that came with the filter, then drain off a little of the tank water and squeeze and rinse everything real well and put it back into the filter and top off the tank with some of your treated tap water.

B

Okay that makes sense, that's a lot!
__________________
Stotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
BldrArch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 65
Why does this happen?!?!

OT but is that an Aquaclear filter? I have one carted in Amazon for my 20 gal and think I've heard good things about them. Is it noisy?
__________________
What was going to be a simple 5 gallon for a betta instead turned into our 1st tank:
20 gal | Fishless cycle complete!
Fishless Cycling for Dummies | Fishless Cycling FAQ
BldrArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
ArtistGardener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 459
I have three of them and they aren't particularly noisy.

Keeping the lid on it is a good idea, too, and may also help Stotts with his issue (unless it is popping up with the lid on).
__________________
ArtistGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Stotts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BldrArch View Post
OT but is that an Aquaclear filter? I have one carted in Amazon for my 20 gal and think I've heard good things about them. Is it noisy?

Nope! I love them, only problem is this but I cleaned the bottom sponge and it went back to normal!
__________________
Stotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Stotts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistGardener View Post
I have three of them and they aren't particularly noisy.

Keeping the lid on it is a good idea, too, and may also help Stotts with his issue (unless it is popping up with the lid on).

Yeah it just popped off lol
__________________

__________________
Stotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
app

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×