Why don't I have algae in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diogenes

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok. So my tank has been setup for almost 3 months. I've stocked it with 3 small angels (will be one or two soon because I don't want one to get singled out and picked on), 2 apisto borelli's, and 2 bolivian rams. There's also a female swordtail leftover from cycling the tank. I test regulary and I am an unabashed partial water change fanatic. I do regular water tests and I have a seacham ammonia alert in the tank because I dechlorinate with Amquel/Amquel+ and this causes a false NH3 reading with my API kit. My test parameters are NH3=0, NO2=0, NO3= 5-10, PH=6.0, Temp= 79-80 degrees. I leave my light on usually for about 6-8 hours a day, although I have started turning it off earlier recently because the borelli's don't like the light and they were just added about a week ago. I have no live plants, lots of fake plants, natural pea or smaller sized grave, 3 broken flower pots for hiding places, and 4 small pieces of driftwood.

Now that I've described the tank I hope someone can answer something for me. I have never had an algae bloom. There is no visible algae in my tank. Is this a bad thing? Does anybody know why i wouldn't have any algae growth?

Thanks,
-C

I don't see it as a bad thing. You do have your lights on for 6-8 hours and if it is stock lighting with nothing for the algae to feed off of you will probably not have an issue with algae.

Sounds like a cool tank!

Is your tank placed near a window or any other such sources of natural light? I believe this can make a difference...

it is actually backed up to a window, but the tank has a mirror back and the window is shuttered so no light comes through. The tank rarely sees the light of day. I thought that the lights that came with my hood might be enough to start algae growth, but it hasn't yet.

I certainly wouldn't complain if I never had any algae issues when I set up my tank. Hahaha

You may have done such a good job setting the tank up, that you never noticed a bacteria bloom(cloudy water), and your consistent lighting mixed with proper water changes has prevented any light/nutrient imbalances. I'd say...

GOOD JOB!

algae

I have to watch mine close because it is exposed to afternoon light for at least 5 hours and the room it is in is a huge den with big windows,down one entire wall. I try to keep the light off when I can, don't know if this helps or not, I still have some algae on my rocks and bottom gravel. My water has always been clear as can be, got lucky..... again. Thank goodness for that TLC, that stuff seems to work very well.

That's a good thing, things are balanced enough to prevent algae growth.. I have only had the brown algae that lasts for like maybe a month after setting up a new tank, then it's gone and wala! no more algea. however in my planted I have been fighting it hardcore, not fun.. count it as a blessing

Back
Top Bottom