Why dont ny fish use caves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MojoDaRott

Aquarium Advice Activist
Kind of a weird question but I have numerous ground caves along with rock wall full of caves and none of my fish seem to like them or take refuge when being harassed. I have a few tetras, pencil fish, gourami, yoyo loach, platy, and I believe a mosquito fish or an ugly guppy not sure. But is this common for fish to all hang out usually right in front near the top.

Could be that they associate you with food, so any time you're looking for them to be in their caves their looking at you like its feeding time. My loaches are the only fish that ever take to their hideouts, and that's only during mid day, most of the night and the early morning/late evening they're out scavenging or begging me for food

Also, do your caves have enough room for the fish to turn around in and do they have only one entrance or are they open on 2 ends? A cave with only one way in and out can be seen as more like being trapped than safe

Most caves are large enough for 2 or 3 fish and most have multiple entrances. Every now and then they will swim through them but they never sleep or hide in them. I just feel like I wasted my time building a wall and they don't use it and I could have more room with out it in the tank. Thank you for your opinions. Just something I have been thinking about for a while so I thought I would ask.

Those fish aren't the biggest cave dwellers. They don't really care about them in general.

I have Cory's and the only fish that hide is my Raphael catfish and my kuhli loaches at night, my Cory's don't hide

Nearly all the fish you mentioned are free swimming mid water fish apart from the loach

I would be worried if my platy was hiding

I have few tetras and 3 siamensis algea eater and some shrimps... Sometime my siamensis go together in the same cave, or only one, depending on how they feel I think... But never the tetras go hide in thoses caves.

It's always good to keep hiding places, your fish will feel more in security. If you harass them like with a net to take them, they will probably go hide in your caves... But don't do it for fun -.-

I have few tetras and 3 siamensis algea eater and some shrimps... Sometime my siamensis go together in the same cave, or only one, depending on how they feel I think... But never the tetras go hide in thoses caves.

It's always good to keep hiding places, your fish will feel more in security. If you harass them like with a net to take them, they will probably go hide in your caves... But don't do it for fun -.-

I have a hollow castle

The fish you mentioned find are schooling fish and they find security in groups a cave is unnatural to them so if they feel threatened they will find other fish to be with.

The more decorations and hidings you have, the more your fish will feel secure. In my case, my tank is heavy planted and I have build natural looking cave with lava rocks.

I have two female dwarf gourami in a ten gourami they are only two months old. One is neon blue one is neon red :) They never hide because they are not the kindof fish that do hide

Back
Top Bottom