Why he Heck Does My Tank Smell Bad??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lt.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Recently, my tank has a terrible, dead-fish smell, seriously. :( And I can't figure out why? :confused: My params are good, there are no dead fish. I have snails, but none of them are dead, so that can't be it. I don't have a whole lot of food on the bottom. HELP! I"M CONFOOSED!!! :banghead:

What fish do you have and what are you feeding? Activated carbon would help.

What fish do you have and what are you feeding? Activated carbon would help.

3 angel, 7 rummy nose tetra, 4 danios, 6 cories, 1 big and 7 or 8 small mystery snails, and some ghost shrimp. None of the snails are dead, I can visibly see them all moving. and I just threw in a fresh carbon filter.

How often do you perform partial water changes and what conditioner do you use?

Once every 1-2 weeks, and prime. But It's not a sulfery smell like prime has.

Are you vacuuming the substrate during water changes?
Also, what is the tank size and what filtration do you have?

I have a Biowheel 350 on my 45 long. and no, I haven't vaccumed it in awhile.

Hydrogen sulfide? Does it smell like rotten eggs?

If your rummynose tetras are able to maintain a red nose, all is well; just run carbon and see if it helps. If not then you must figure out what's going on.

David

Well we all know smelly water isn't good. Do your water change, 50% add some carbon and clean your HOB's real good in tank water.

Also can you describe the odor better?

Oh one more thing. Are you getting enough water movement at the surface?

Did you just recently add any plants? I've noticed that some plants will give an aquarium certain scents and odors, although it usually isnt "dead fish" smelling

No new anything, and I can't describe the smell now (on break at work, using the app). My rummy noses, noses are red, so I know the fish themselves should be fine. I added a fresh carbon earlier, and will do a pwc soon.

Not sure what it could be, but I just wanted you to know that I feel your pain! Walked into the house after work and the whole place reeked of dead seafood! I made gumbo last night and forgot to take out the trash after I strained all the crab, crawfish, and shrimp shells out from my stock. Lots of air freshener and took out the trash and it smells much better in here. Good luck finding the source of your bad smell!

I had this problem a while ago. No idea what caused it. I gave the tank a good clean and changed out lots of the water and it went away. Not had a problem since. Hope you figure it out!

We were given a tank for the work place and after a while it had an awful smell, we found the lights and cover were very dirty so cleaned it all thoroughly with water and it solved the problem! I think it may have been the heat making the smell worse!

We were given a tank for the work place and after a while it had an awful smell, we found the lights and cover were very dirty so cleaned it all thoroughly with water and it solved the problem! I think it may have been the heat making the smell worse!

You stole my point haha, I was going to say....check under the light and hood, it might can get grimy and covered in this dried algae-ish stuff.

If you have a tank with a top rim also clean the underside of it

Back
Top Bottom