Why I Don't Like YoYo Loaches Anymore!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
These fish are something else! I didn't have time this morning to do my routine head check and when I got home tonight I discovered that three of my YoYos had died - or did they? One of them was laying on it's side on the gravel, a second one was laying on it's side on the slate cave, and a third one was straight up and down (with it's head facing down) in one of the plants. I started to panic thinking of what could've killed my loaches so suddenly and began checking the other fish for signs of illness. That's when one by one they started to wake up and move around. I'm so happy that they're alive and ok, but at the same time I could just kill them (not really of course!) for scaring me so much!! :roll:

one of my dojo's did that once. it was slumped over a suction cup on the glass and looked extremely dead. i got my net and when i went for it, he took off and he is still kicking.

Both my Yo Yo's do that in the rare event that they rest. I can remember when I first got them thinking they were dying. I got so nervous because it took me a while to find 2 Yo Yo's in my area. IME I have found that they really love to rest under a tilted piece of slate or anything to provide them a little security.

I have a female betta that likes to "sleep" (or rest) in ways that freaks me out, I always think there is something wrong but she's been doing it as long as I've had her (months) so I've finally learned she just likes doing this.

I have an amazon sword in my tank, towards the back glass, so the backmost leaves of the sword lie against the glass. She wedges herself behind one of these leaves, between the leaf and the back glass, in a position almost perfectly vertical--head pointing up, tail down.

Like I said, she's done this since I've had her, so I've finally decided it's a personality quirk, nothing more. Whenever I see her that way, though, I still kind of catch my breath for a half second.

Stupid fish, not thinking about the feelings of their owners... :p

just a quick comment -- I have 2 clown loaches-- and when the are 'resting' or laying on their side looking like they are dead==I said 'they are faking me out'

I also recently invested in 2 kuhli loaches & 2 do jo loaches. My married daughter wonders why I want to buy fish that look like worms!!

Well, you should see my yoyo's, lol. They have their heads stuck in a hole in the driftwood, and all you see is their tails, lol. then occasionally, they will back out and swim around, then go back to their holes, lol. And if another loach is in there, they will kick them out, lol.

Lonewolfblue said:
Well, you should see my yoyo's, lol. They have their heads stuck in a hole in the driftwood, and all you see is their tails, lol. then occasionally, they will back out and swim around, then go back to their holes, lol. And if another loach is in there, they will kick them out, lol.

yea but you were owned by eels so we arent too suprised :D hehe i keed :D

-Pleco

Pleco said:
Lonewolfblue said:

yea but you were owned by eels so we arent too suprised :D hehe i keed :D

-Pleco

hahaha this is true....lol

My Botias lay on their sides all the time....My biggest one, about 5" sticks it's nose in the gravel for a couple seconds, then shoots under the gravel...lmao...its hillarious...After that it will lay there for hours...heh heh

I'd post a couple pics but it says I've reached my uplaod qouta of 2MB!!!!

I've seen my yo-yo's do the laying on their side thing too. Haven't seen it recently, but they definitely do it. My favorite pose was when I used to have this castle decoration with a window in it ... the yo-yo was laying on its site limp head and tail hanging down on each side of the window ... it looked totally dead ... but alas a quick bump to the tank or touch the water and everything is fine and dandy.

Back
Top Bottom