Why I don't test water parameters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No problem. Just very interested in this.

Which part? My friend has several tanks running all with different substrates and source water. All grow perfectly healthy plants despite 0 dosing 0 co2 injection and 0 water changes. Even plants like R.Macrandra, R.Wallichi. He set them
Up correctly whereas mine has come
From typical EI/high co2 and weekly water changes straight to no dosing, no co2 and no water changes but stupidly, no flow. Cyano grew. No cyano is nearly dead probably is actually remedied, without chemicals. My plants are growing back. Just waiting for the to bloom and I’ll post a pic.

Interested in what the author had to say about the other three principles. Retrospect of old school professionals is interesting. What's really interesting and seems impossible in my tanks is no water changes. I get how you need flow below the surface and surface agitation to create oxygen......how using wave makers or the like on opposite ends of a tank below the water line for circulation within the water column and airstones for surface agitation would create similar results of an HOB, canister or sump. I get how you could go without a media filter as BB is collected in the substrate and decor. I can actually see how you wouldn't need HOB filters, canisters or sumps with proper circulation and surface agitation but bioload from fish on top of accumulation of uneaten food....even small amounts....over time causing nitrates to rise faster in an aquarium due to it's smaller footprint than nature has me a little baffled. At the least I would think you would need to gravel vac waste and/or do water changes say......once a month? To go without any one of those completely seems like the nitrates would get very high..... possibly even ammonia?

Interested in what the author had to say about the other three principles. Retrospect of old school professionals is interesting. What's really interesting and seems impossible in my tanks is no water changes. I get how you need flow below the surface and surface agitation to create oxygen......how using wave makers or the like on opposite ends of a tank below the water line for circulation within the water column and airstones for surface agitation would create similar results of an HOB, canister or sump. I get how you could go without a media filter as BB is collected in the substrate and decor. I can actually see how you wouldn't need HOB filters, canisters or sumps with proper circulation and surface agitation but bioload from fish on top of accumulation of uneaten food....even small amounts....over time causing nitrates to rise faster in an aquarium due to it's smaller footprint than nature has me a little baffled. At the least I would think you would need to gravel vac waste and/or do water changes say......once a month? To go without any one of those completely seems like the nitrates would get very high..... possibly even ammonia?

You would be surprised. Because I don’t dose and don’t use tap water my plants have completely scavenged the No3 and Po4 from measurement levels. Just like in nature....

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

Here’s the mind boggling thing. If TDS doesn’t stay the same it actually goes down! I’ve seen this happen myself. It’s incredible. In my opinion, the very fact that my fauna are not subjected to harsh changes in dissolved solids, ph, nitrate/ammonia spikes, salts and metals and have an abundance of oxygen is why they are doing so well despite no real water changes now for nearly 6 months. It takes a massive leap of faith that I can’t argue but look. When your snails no long clam up or you find them half way across the living room floor or shrimp hidden under logs and fish rapid breathing with surface film on top and dying plants after years of doing things the other way it makes a lot more sense to me to carry on with these practices that were once the norm in the hobby.

Very interesting.....if you can, try to get me those other principles. I'd be interested in trying this.

You would be surprised. Because I don’t dose and don’t use tap water my plants have completely scavenged the No3 and Po4 from measurement levels. Just like in nature....

View attachment 309700

View attachment 309701

Here’s the mind boggling thing. If TDS doesn’t stay the same it actually goes down! I’ve seen this happen myself. It’s incredible. In my opinion, the very fact that my fauna are not subjected to harsh changes in dissolved solids, ph, nitrate/ammonia spikes, salts and metals and have an abundance of oxygen is why they are doing so well despite no real water changes now for nearly 6 months. It takes a massive leap of faith that I can’t argue but look. When your snails no long clam up or you find them half way across the living room floor or shrimp hidden under logs and fish rapid breathing with surface film on top and dying plants after years of doing things the other way it makes a lot more sense to me to carry on with these practices that were once the norm in the hobby.
So you are saying NOT to use tap water due to the minerals that is in it? And do you supplement the RO water with anything specific?

So you are saying NOT to use tap water due to the minerals that is in it? And do you supplement the RO water with anything specific?

I’m not advocating everyone stops using it but I personally just don’t trust it. Herbicides, pesticides, antibiotics, chlorine, chloramine it’s getting ridiculous. I just top up mainly with RO and take a bit out to clean my small filter sponge and replace with RO. I don’t remineralise at all.

I’m not advocating everyone stops using it but I personally just don’t trust it. Herbicides, pesticides, antibiotics, chlorine, chloramine it’s getting ridiculous. I just top up mainly with RO and take a bit out to clean my small filter sponge and replace with RO. I don’t remineralise at all.
Got it...... I get annual water reports. I do have chlorine and chloramine, nitrates amongst other things. I was always told/taught that fish need the minerals in tap/spring water for their bone health. I personally have well water from ground water so I would imagine there's definitely traces of herbicides, pesticides and antibiotics. I also live around rural ranch country where these are common items.

Hello V...

Back in the day, before mechanical gizmos were used to filter the tank water, house plants were used to do the job. We hear and see a lot of that now, with plants maintaining a balanced water chemistry to the point you never need to test the tank water and there's no need to change the tank water, ever. But, I'm moving away from the subject. Sorry.

B

I really like the subtle analogy comparing modern-day power filters that aggitate water like a washing machine to the gentle flow generated by an airstone. Lol.
I recently read a post where the OP had two AC 110's already installed on his 125 gal. He wanted opinions on his future plans to install two Fluval FX 6 canister filters as well. The replies mentioned nothing about "overkill". Most sounded envious, others advised that the noted enormous amount of filtration should suffice.
In my area the total up front cost of those four power filters would be approx. $800. Add a quality light to that and your going to see one gigantic electric bill.
I would enjoy reading future threads regarding old school aquarium water management methods.
When I read post with people that have an Fx6 fx4 and 2 power heads on a 75g all I can think is, when do the fish rest? I have a fx4 and 2 powerheads on my 110g Hap and Peacock tank. I turn my powerheads on right after they eat and after a few hrs, I swear my fish look at me like "could you turn these things of please? So we can rest, how would you like to be on a treadmill for hrs at a time?" Lol. Seriously though I can almost hear the sigh of relief when I turn them off. Maybe my fish are out of shape. Lol All I know is they would be stressed to the max and most likely not last that long in some setups that others have. Not to mention my one fx4 has no problem keeping my tank clean. Sometimes it sounds more as a contest with equipment than enjoying owning fish.
As far as testing. I never do, I pay way to much attention to my fish, at this point I can tell if something might be off by their behaviour ect plus every 3 days I do a 50% W/C on all my tanks. I've tried going longer but it stresses me out. Lol.
I remember growing up and winning goldfish at the carnival. We all had them and those goldfish lived forever. Heck I remember putting mine in the kitchen sink while I cleaned the tank. I also NEVER remember having any water conditioners.
Times have definitely changed.

What also surprises me is the majority of people that do test for toxins or keep track of nitrate regularly are the same people that don’t think twice about using H2O2, Glutaradehyde or antibiotics in their tanks to combat a bit of BBA/BGA [emoji849]

Back
Top Bottom