Why is my 10 gallon so cloudy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just gravel vacuumed, did about a 50% wc, and washed the filter media. I also tested but I it had time for one so I tested ammonia and it was still . 25 ... I'll post some pics later tomorrow.

maxwellag said:
I just gravel vacuumed, did about a 50% wc, and washed the filter media. I also tested but I it had time for one so I tested ammonia and it was still . 25 ... I'll post some pics later tomorrow.

Was the gravel (water) pretty nasty? Keep up on the big PWC as many days in a row as you can is my continued suggestion.

Ok I'll try. I couldn't get the gravel vacuum to work very well bcuz I think it had vapor in the hose so it wouldn't get the full suction

But my vacuum is supposed to be a mini one for up to 10 gallons.

Hold the phone... I belive the problem is your effort to be too clean... Gravel vac and filter (rinse, replace, whatever) is too much at once. You removed a great deal of good bacteria. I have done that once myself b4 I knew anything about the "CYCLE"... try letting the bacteria grow back in the filter media without interruptions. PWC's and patience will clear the tank.

Hold the phone... I belive the problem is your effort to be too clean... Gravel vac and filter (rinse, replace, whatever) is too much at once. You removed a great deal of good bacteria. I have done that once myself b4 I knew anything about the "CYCLE"... try letting the bacteria grow back in the filter media without interruptions. PWC's and patience will clear the tank.

No. I do a 30-50% water change, gravel vac the tank, and rinse the filter cart in tank water every 7 days. This is proper tank maintenance of a cycled tank.

I did a 25% wc three days in a row and gravel vacuumed once and it seemed to solve the problem. Now it is crystal clear. I'll post a picture.

While everyone has valid points, I had this problem without any live plants in a cycled tank. I got Chemi-pure elite and it cleared up my water.

maxwellag said:
I did a 25% wc three days in a row and gravel vacuumed once and it seemed to solve the problem. Now it is crystal clear. I'll post a picture.

Great to hear.

My suggestion is to let the system settle, regular PWC and I don't recommend cleaning the filter media each week. Gauge what it looks like and clean when it looks loaded with gunk rather than doing it every week like a PWC.

I might take the mondo grass out and get a different plant instead. I'm going to Petco today. Here's some pictures of the tank now:

Eventually I will have all live plants and no fake plastic ones, but I am only geting one or two at a time right now.

I might take the mondo grass out and get a different plant instead. I'm going to Petco today. Here's some pictures of the tank now:

Eventually I will have all live plants and no fake plastic ones, but I am only geting one or two at a time right now.

Good looking tank and I like the sphinx ;). I think it was mentioned before, but mondo grass is a non-aquatic plant and it'll rot, then foul your tank.

You have almost the exact fish my mother has : )

What I do with my fitter media is forget about it. Then when I remember about it it's usually time to clean. Usually every month or 2.

I know that mondo grass will foul my tank. I've already been told that be someone else a while ago. But thanks for reminding me. .:) I'll get rid of it tomorrow and hopefully replace it with something else... What do you recommend?

I took the mondo grass out his morning. What plant do you recommend I get instead? Also would shrimp be ok in it? I have 5 male guppies and a peppered
Cory cat fish and a sunburst Mickey mouse platy.

I took the mondo grass out his morning. What plant do you recommend I get instead? Also would shrimp be ok in it? I have 5 male guppies and a peppered
Cory cat fish and a sunburst Mickey mouse platy.

Shrimp are great! I'd suggest starting with ghost shrimp, as they're sold as feeders in many store so they're cheap (.08 for mine). If you're looking to get rid of algae, AES (Amano) are the best IMO/E.

I meant ghost shrimp. Sorry for the confusion. My lfs only has that kind.

Back
Top Bottom