Why is my crab being shy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adamuk2012

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Had my tank 8 years, recently introduced a crab into the mix about 2 days ago but all he seems to be doing now is hiding in and around a vase. Also have a plec which has now decided to hide in an ornament that looks like it could get stuck inside. Any thoughts?

image-3984286780.jpg

I don't know much about invertebrates, but I'd say just give him time. Once he realizes he doesn't need to feel threatened by the other members of the tank he will feel more comfortable and come out more. Maybe read up on the type of crab he is and find out if they're social, shy, etc. He's really neat looking by the way :)

thedavinator said:
I don't know much about invertebrates, but I'd say just give him time. Once he realizes he doesn't need to feel threatened by the other members of the tank he will feel more comfortable and come out more. Maybe read up on the type of crab he is and find out if they're social, shy, etc. He's really neat looking by the way :)

Thanks, I was hoping you'd say something along those lines, the plec is the oldest of all my fish and I'm just concerned he's now hiding because of the crab being introduced. I'll have to leave it a week or two and see what happens!

He is cool isn't he haha! Thanks again!

They are pretty cool and it might just be a new environment that is causing him to be shy... But, that looks like a red clawed crab. They are much better off in a slightly braxkish water environment with an area where they can get out of the water if they so choose. Just keep an eye on him to make sure he is acclimating alright.

Back
Top Bottom