Why is my Dalmation Molly so aggressive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cfd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 5 gallon Hex.... 3 female mollies (1 silver, 1 black, 1 dalmation), 1 male molly (silver) and 2 african dwarf frogs.

The dalmation molly was the latest addition to the tank. She now seems to rule the tank with authority! She constantly chases them. She doesn't nip them, but she will chase them even if they look at her the wrong way!

What gives?! Is this fish just a brat, or is the tank simply overcrowded? These mollies are not that big. Probably 2" each. The other 3 were getting along great before. No attacking like this.

BTW, the females are not pregnant at the moment. The black molly just had fry about 10 days ago, they are in a separate tank.

I noticed that the male also lost the urge to mate with the females due to this domination by the dalmation (lol, nice rhyme).

I separated the dalmation from the rest, and it seems like order is restored. The male even thought about mating with the black one again (his favorite).

Guess I just have to take the dalmation back. I think 4 mollies is too much for a 5 gallon anyway.

I don't know about mollies but I wouldn't put any more fish in a tank that size.

I think that tank size is definitely too small for all those animals. Mollies get to around 3+ inches and 5 gallons is not gonna cut it. I would say put them in a 10 gallon and that should be fine for them if you don't add anymore fish. Remember that the fish tank is your fish's house, not a room in their house. I only say that because I used to kind of think that way when I first got fish. I'd look at them in the tank and think "they have enough room. I could definitely put a couple more in there" but to be humane they should be given a lot more room than you think looks aesthetically pleasing.
I'm 99% sure that the aggression is because of how tiny the tank is.

not to mention that mollies can be aggressive twords other fish and their own spices.. I also agree that that tank is too small for them all. a 10 would be much nicer. but I still think she would be aggressive..

I have a dalmation mollie whos is a brat also, and I have a 29 gal tank.......she only during feeding chases the others away, she will eat hers then go find someone whos eating and chases then but only at feeding time otherwise shes a doll

The tank size is the main problem I agree. With a larger tank there is less chance there will be aggression over territories.

Well, I returned the dalmation molly for store credit and put the 2 frogs into their own tank.

3 mollies (2 female, 1 male) in the 5 gallon right now and they seem perfectly happy.

Back
Top Bottom