Why is my goldfish so skiddish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kat.fish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got a 20 gallon tank from a lady in town for really cheap, and when I got there she told me that she had a comet and if I didn’t want it she would flush it so I obviously took him. The tank was in disgusting conditions, but now the tank is clean with good water quality. I’ve had him now since around May and he’s been extremely skiddish. Every time I go up to the tank or there’s even slight movement or the lighting changes he gets very scared and swims away very fast, and sometimes he goes to a corner and almost tries to “dig” at he gravel, which has injured him before. He also occasionally almost jumps or flips at the top of the water which always wakes me up, that concerns me because I’ve been told goldfish don’t do things like that. I also see him bump into things, but not very hard, so I think his vision isn’t the best? During the day he also spends most of his time lying behind one of his ornaments, and usually is only active at night or when I feed him. Is this normal? I hate to see him get so scared and injure himself. Would this have anything to do with the terrible conditions he was in, or am I doing something wrong?

Hello Kat...

You could add some floating plants. Anacharis and Hornwort are good. Goldfish like to explore and like to have several decorations and plants to swim around. Plants are a good diet supplement too. Goldfish are very social, another Comet will help. A 20 gallon tank is very small for Goldfish, so just one more fish is about the limit. A larger tank would be better for the fish, if that can be worked into your plans.

B

Hello Kat...

You could add some floating plants. Anacharis and Hornwort are good. Goldfish like to explore and like to have several decorations and plants to swim around. Plants are a good diet supplement too. Goldfish are very social, another Comet will help. A 20 gallon tank is very small for Goldfish, so just one more fish is about the limit. A larger tank would be better for the fish, if that can be worked into your plans.

B

I’m wanting to get a bigger tank for my fish but I don’t have lots of money right now. My comet is pretty big so I don’t think I could add another fish in with him just yet. The lady I got him from also said that he attached the other fish, so I’m a bit nervous about getting another one. I believe she had multiple fish in there at one point, so would he just have been aggressive because of the bad quality of the tank and the space?

I would say a 20 if definitely too small for a goldfish, especially one that size. If there's nothing in there for him to feel secure in, he's going to be more reactive. They need more stimulation than other fish by way of decoration, plants, etc.

I totally get not having the funds for another tank. I think some Petco's are still doing the dollar a gallon sale, if you have one up there. Otherwise, avenues like craigslist, letgo and the like often have tanks for cheap!

Regardless, you're awesome for taking in this fish.

I would say a 20 if definitely too small for a goldfish, especially one that size. If there's nothing in there for him to feel secure in, he's going to be more reactive. They need more stimulation than other fish by way of decoration, plants, etc.

I totally get not having the funds for another tank. I think some Petco's are still doing the dollar a gallon sale, if you have one up there. Otherwise, avenues like craigslist, letgo and the like often have tanks for cheap!

Regardless, you're awesome for taking in this fish.

Thanks so much, I’m definitely going to look on sites like craigslist. What would be a good size for him and another comet?

38 would be really pushing it. They can be up to 10 inches and a standard 38 is only 12 inches wide. You could get away with 2 comets in a 38, but nothing else. A 40 would be more suitable, but you do what you gotta do.

Just as an aside; it's not super common, but sometimes if goldfish are kept alone for the majority of their lives, they don't accept new comers very well.

I would shoot for a 75 gallon minimum if you plan on having 2 goldfish types that reach 12 inches in size. 75g is 4 feet long. Ideally you would probably need a 6 foot tank like a 100g long. Length and width is more important than height with goldfish. A tank 18 inches wide would be minimum IMO.

38 would be really pushing it. They can be up to 10 inches and a standard 38 is only 12 inches wide. You could get away with 2 comets in a 38, but nothing else. A 40 would be more suitable, but you do what you gotta do.

Just as an aside; it's not super common, but sometimes if goldfish are kept alone for the majority of their lives, they don't accept new comers very well.

Ok thank you. His previous owner said he killed all the other fish with him so I’m not sure if I should get another fish with him

If the tank was overcrowded he can become aggressive. To combat future aggression it would be a good idea to purchase an adequate sized tank. Put decor in the tank....plants, larger rocks, driftwood, ect..After your new tank is cycled then purchase and add your new fish to the tank. Then add your current fish to the new tank. The change of environment, the hiding spots from decor, the addition of a new fish first, and the larger tank size to reduce aggression through larger individual territory should lower aggression.

If the tank was overcrowded he can become aggressive. To combat future aggression it would be a good idea to purchase an adequate sized tank. Put decor in the tank....plants, larger rocks, driftwood, ect..After your new tank is cycled then purchase and add your new fish to the tank. Then add your current fish to the new tank. The change of environment, the hiding spots from decor, the addition of a new fish first, and the larger tank size to reduce aggression through larger individual territory should lower aggression.

Awesome, thanks so much!!!

It's a lot of information to take in at first, and it can feel very unmooring, but you're on the right path. Fish are a commitment, especially long lived fish like goldfish. You saved his life and you are clearly wanting to do what you can to improve it.

You will make mistakes. As long as the fish are still alive, mistakes are just learning experiences. And should a fish die, as sad as it is, you definitely wouldn't be the first person in the world to wake up to a floater.

This forum is an invaluable source of information and people are very kind and patient here. Don't be afraid to ask questions. While I don't keep goldfish, I've done a ridiculous amount of research in preparing for my own fish and you are welcome to message me any time.

It's a lot of information to take in at first, and it can feel very unmooring, but you're on the right path. Fish are a commitment, especially long lived fish like goldfish. You saved his life and you are clearly wanting to do what you can to improve it.

You will make mistakes. As long as the fish are still alive, mistakes are just learning experiences. And should a fish die, as sad as it is, you definitely wouldn't be the first person in the world to wake up to a floater.

This forum is an invaluable source of information and people are very kind and patient here. Don't be afraid to ask questions. While I don't keep goldfish, I've done a ridiculous amount of research in preparing for my own fish and you are welcome to message me any time.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it :)

Back
Top Bottom