Why is my ph always so high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thomasflynnwa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 29 gallon planted tank (very low tech, no co2, average light). The ph seems to be always at the max threshold on the API test kit kit chart IMG_3197.jpgwhich seems to be 7.8 maybe even 8. this seems very adnormal for a freshwater system given I do nothing whatsoever that could buffer the tank. It matches my source water but doesn’t the ph of tap water gradually acidify after being added to the established system anyway??

Other parameters in case they matter:
Ammonia- .25 ppm
Nitrite- 0ppm
Nitrate-25 ppm

I keep mostly South American fish such as catfish, tetras, an angel I’ll probably rehome soon anyway due to size, and dwarf cichlids. Everything in there now is fine, mostly because they’ve adapted to it. But getting new fish can be a struggle sometimes. I do monthly water changes and add seachem root tabs every 2 months, dose flourish comp. once a week, and iron and potassium every other day.

Well for one thing water changes should be done weekly since essentially fish are swimming in their toilet so 25-50% weekly is a good idea. The plants help some but.......

Water Chemistry

I have a 29 gallon planted tank (very low tech, no co2, average light). The ph seems to be always at the max threshold on the API test kit kit chart View attachment 313160which seems to be 7.8 maybe even 8. this seems very adnormal for a freshwater system given I do nothing whatsoever that could buffer the tank. It matches my source water but doesn’t the ph of tap water gradually acidify after being added to the established system anyway??

Other parameters in case they matter:
Ammonia- .25 ppm
Nitrite- 0ppm
Nitrate-25 ppm

I keep mostly South American fish such as catfish, tetras, an angel I’ll probably rehome soon anyway due to size, and dwarf cichlids. Everything in there now is fine, mostly because they’ve adapted to it. But getting new fish can be a struggle sometimes. I do monthly water changes and add seachem root tabs every 2 months, dose flourish comp. once a week, and iron and potassium every other day.

Thomas...

The vast majority of aquarium fish will be fine in the vast majority of public water supplies. So, don't fret over your water chemistry. Just use a standard water treatment and change half the water in the tank every week. This will maintain a steady water chemistry, which is all the fish need to be healthy.

B

Water Chemistry

My pH runs between 8.2 and 8.4. Fish adapt to pH.

Hello King...

As long as the water chemistry is constant, most fish you get at the local fish store don't care if the water is acidic or alkaline. Although, it's my understanding that they prefer water that's a bit higher in minerals, so a higher pH would be more to their liking. However, as long as you remove and replace most of the tank water weekly, this will guarantee a steady water chemistry and consistency is all the fish care about.

One thing though, if your plan is to raise and breed rare fish species, then you may need to take steps to try and maintain a specific water chemistry. But, most of us are content to keep more common types of aquarium fish.

B

Hello King...

As long as the water chemistry is constant, most fish you get at the local fish store don't care if the water is acidic or alkaline. Although, it's my understanding that they prefer water that's a bit higher in minerals, so a higher pH would be more to their liking. However, as long as you remove and replace most of the tank water weekly, this will guarantee a steady water chemistry and consistency is all the fish care about.

One thing though, if your plan is to raise and breed rare fish species, then you may need to take steps to try and maintain a specific water chemistry. But, most of us are content to keep more common types of aquarium fish.

B
Breeding is a whole other story. I agree, more care should be taken in those situations.

Back
Top Bottom