Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2016, 12:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

why is my red tailed shark suddenly so friendly

I've had my red tailed shark just over 2 years (it was full grown when I bought it). Ever since I've had it whenever I put my hand in the tank it would stay far away or it would hide. Now whenever I put my hand in, it swims straight over and starts nibbling on my fingers and it will even let me stroke it.

Old 12-31-2016, 02:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

did you change something like use a different lotion on your hands? For land animals I know that's true (I have a rabbit and 2 gerbils). I guess it's not a bad thing if it likes you better now.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremebunny View Post
did you change something like use a different lotion on your hands? For land animals I know that's true (I have a rabbit and 2 gerbils). I guess it's not a bad thing if it likes you better now.
I don't use hand lotion. And it doesn't matter when I put my hand in the tank it comes straight over. However I used to have a yellow lab cichlid in the tank that pretty much bullied everyone in the tank (the shark included). So I don't know if that dying has made a difference to the sharks behaviour
Old 01-01-2017, 11:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

It could be if it feels safer now that it's not bullied.

Tags
led, red, red tail, red tailed shark, shark, tail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com