Why is my tank water level dropping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I noticed on Saturday that the tank level on my 3 gallon was dropping , so I topped it off. I changed water on Sunday and it was filled to the top.
Today morning (tuesday) I again noticed the water level was good 1/8 th inch lower. I saw no leakage or any water below the tank. Will evaporation cause the level to drop that much? I am confused

My ghost shrimp molted its skin this weekend. I am pretty sure that has nothing to do with the water level but I am a newbie :roll:

Yep, sounds like evaporation. Obviously you want to make sure the tank is not leaking either.

Simple evaporation. Happens to every tank in the water. Mine drop about an inch every 1.5 weeks or so. If I get busy and don't find time for a water change, and they go say 2-3 weeks without, the water level may be as much as 3 inches below the line. But I'm talking 55, 75, and 90 gallon tanks, lots of water. One of the 90 gallons has a 220 watt lighting system so it zaps off quite a bit of water.

Sounds like normal evaporation to me. I wouldn't be too concerned by it. I get a good deal of evaporation in the summer because of the heat and humidity.

Bryan

oh ok cool..i was panicking for no reason then :) of course topping off is not the same as water change.
So you guys add small amount of de-chlorinator when you top off the tank ?

Someone will probably yell at me, but I've stopped bothering with most chemicals, including de-chlorinators. I should probably start using them again though. I have a 50 ft Python hose/syphon, which is a necessity with the size/number of tanks I have. Water goes straight into the tank.

of course topping off is not the same as water change
you'd be surprised at how many people think that topping the water off counts as new water and thus don't have to do water changes. Scary (especially for the fish)...

grimlock3000 said:
Right, cuz the cholrine/chloramine is surely much safer than water treatment ;)

Harhar, agreed. I have a bottle on hand but usually forget :/ I'm afraid of chemicals though, so many new hobbiest get bottles and bottles shoved down their throats at Petsmart and places I cringe. Then I envision them going home to their 10 gallon tank with 10 platies and pouring an entire bottle of Stress Coat in.

deli_conker said:
you'd be surprised at how many people think that topping the water off counts as new water and thus don't have to do water changes. Scary (especially for the fish)...

of course I hear you ...i was not trying to be a smart ass. :D I appreciate what everybody has to say . I have been helped so much by this forum that me and my fish will be ever thankful :)

I've stopped bothering with most chemicals, including de-chlorinators.
Ouch. That burns. I went swimming with my daughter this past Sunday and she found out what chlorinated water up the nose feels like...

lol any water up the nose hurts. if your using a python just python it into a bucket right by the tank and pour it in. or im sure theres an attachment where it mixes it up. probally not for python but we can improvise. like those windex window washers that attachment to the hose. it mixes water with the windex. you could get one of those let it sit in dechlorinater/vinegar or whatever and then itll probally be ready for use. but youll probally have to do alot of modifying

Back
Top Bottom