Why is my water cloudy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SLoViper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After a few water changes and checking the water condition with my LFS the water is still cloudy and cant get rid of it.

What can i possibly do to clear up the water

396.jpg

397.jpg

It appears to be a bacteria bloom. Is this a newly set up tank? If so, this is common. If you do water changes, the bacteria will just reproduce, that is why the water wont clear up after a pwc. It should clear up in a few days to a week.

Ive had this tank up and running for about 6 months now, i hope it goes away soon, it really annoys me

i would reccomend getting some sort of liquid test kit so you dont have to drive to your lfs all of the time. even test strips would be better than nothing.

Cloudy Water

Hello SLo...

When I had a similar problem, I recall using an extra HOB filter and filling it with a dense polyfiber material. Hagen Aqua Clear has a good HOB. The dense fiber material held the small particles of plant and fish material and cleared the water in a few days.

Water changes will sometimes stir the substrate a little and cause debris to float around in the tank water, but they also help remove debris and help clear the water.

Run an extra filter until the water clears.

B

so do you think that i was doing water changes too often, i usually do it once a week

I remember ive had dirty water ever since i put driftwood in it. And i even boild the heck out of it

Cloudy Water

so do you think that i was doing water changes too often, i usually do it once a week

Hello again SLo...

Water changes benefit most if you do them weekly and remove half the water. This will maintain a stable water chemistry and removes small debris floating in the water.

I found the longer my tank ran, the clearer the water became. I kept a small AquaClear 30, just for times when the tank water seemed a little cloudy and ran the HOB with only the biological medium in the filter for a couple of days, that cleared the water.

B

Hello SLo...

When I had a similar problem, I recall using an extra HOB filter and filling it with a dense polyfiber material. Hagen Aqua Clear has a good HOB. The dense fiber material held the small particles of plant and fish material and cleared the water in a few days.

Water changes will sometimes stir the substrate a little and cause debris to float around in the tank water, but they also help remove debris and help clear the water.

Run an extra filter until the water clears.

B

Thanks for the advice, i have an extra fluval 305 filter running with just biomedia in it, well see if it clears up in a few days.

My 10g that had been running for about 4 months developed cloudy water, I discovered I wasn't vacuuming good enough. Once I started vacuuming better it cleared right up. How often do you do a good vacuuming? I have gravel so I had to dig deep to get it good.

activated carbon did not help at all? its supposed to rid cloudy water and odor. with it, a few weeks in, it should begin to clear.....

Back
Top Bottom