Why is there still ammonia in my water???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua315

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone. Ok so I've been cycling a 28gal with 3 fish in it. On friday I added Tetra Safe Start because the cycling seemed to be taking forever. I turned off the light and didn't feed the fish - basically just let the tank sit without messing for it until today. I just tested my water and although I'm thrilled my nitrites are finally down to 0, my ammonia seems to stay at a constant 0.25. Nitrates were measured at 20. Any advice on where to go from here?

I would do a 50% pwc to restore any minerals that have been used up and to lower the nitrate level some. And keep a eye on the ammo levels because u don't want them getting any higher than .25

How long has the tank been cycling so far. It could still be in the process. As longs as it is, ammonia is likely to be present. No amount of ammonia is good for your fish. Only 0 ppm is an acceptable level. The PWC is not a bad idea to control it, but you need to be careful if the tank is still cycling.

The tank was cycling for about 2 weeks before I added the safe start with barely any change. It's been about 3 days since I added the safe start.

My fish also haven't been fed in almost a week due to the cycling. Can I feed them now or it that not a good idea? What about keeping the light off? I do have live plants in the tank.

The tank was cycling for about 2 weeks before I added the safe start with barely any change. It's been about 3 days since I added the safe start.

That is probably not long enough. When doing a fishless cycle, it can take 3-4 weeks. If doing it with fish, it can take 2-4 times as long, and is bad for the fish.

Since you already have fish present, you will probably need to keep up your 30-50% PWC at least 2-3 times a week. You may also try some products that will take some of the toxicity out of the ammonia.

Keep an eye on the ammonia levels to be sure and watch for the signs of ammonia poisoning.

Some signs are:
-Fish gasp for breath at the water's surface
-Fish have purple or red gills
-Fish is lethargic
-Loss of appetite in fish
-Fish lays at the bottom of the tank
-Fish have red streaking on their fins or body

Hope you are successful with this. Good Luck!

Ok I'm gonna go ahead and feed them and turn on the light. I think I'm gonna wait until tomorrow for the pwc though just in case the ammonia starts going down. I'll recheck tomorrow and see if there's any change. (and yes im using a liquid test kit)

Took me 7 1/2 weeks with fish. In my research I found that .25 ammonia has a VERY LOW % of free ammonia (NH3) Temperature and Ph have a big effect on that percentage. After I found this info I cut down on water changes and my cycling was over in about a week after doing less frequent PWC. Here's the link if you're interested.....

Ammonia Toxicity

Took me 7 1/2 weeks with fish. In my research I found that .25 ammonia has a VERY LOW % of free ammonia (NH3) Temperature and Ph have a big effect on that percentage. After I found this info I cut down on water changes and my cycling was over in about a week after doing less frequent PWC. Here's the link if you're interested.....

Ammonia Toxicity

It will cycle faster, but the ammonia is not good for the fish.

That is a good link you provided though. Not enough aquarists know about the toxicity of ammonia at higher pH levels and temperatures.

It is still true that not any amount of ammonia detectable by aquarists is good for your fish.

Back
Top Bottom