Why is this happening?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Owp

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I have anacharis in both of my tanks and in one of them the plant on some of the strands are dieing but some are growing healthily. I dose fertilisers weekly and trim the plant regularly. This is the part that looks like it is dieing :IMG_1519586206.259102.jpg
But this part is growing well IMG_1519586255.331362.jpg can anyone help?

Not enough light perhaps? It’s common for stem plants to focus on growth in some sections of the plant to the detriment of others. Lots of stem plants have to be pruned regularly because the top sections shade out the bottom and the plant becomes top heavy and ugly on the bottom.

What fertilizer are you using and how long have you had them. Are you doing fertilizer tabs at all? And what's your substrate your using? Could be light, but if they are newer plants they could be just trying to get us to your tank.

+1 to Lib and Angel

My experience with anacharis has been just that. The tops would grow crazy, the bottoms would wither away to just a stem. The thing with stems plants is they need regular and heavy trimming to become "tamed" and look their nicest + allow light all the way to the bottom most leaves. They look like new additions, so you'll have to wait for some decent growth and then cut + replant the tops.

+1 to Lib and Angel

My experience with anacharis has been just that. The tops would grow crazy, the bottoms would wither away to just a stem. The thing with stems plants is they need regular and heavy trimming to become "tamed" and look their nicest + allow light all the way to the bottom most leaves. They look like new additions, so you'll have to wait for some decent growth and then cut + replant the tops.
So my question is, with stem plants would it help at all with the light bars you can submerge to the bottom of the tank? Just a thought. My thought is if you put one on the back side of the tank close to the plant it might help alittle and not have to do as much trimming to keep it looking half way decent.

So my question is, with stem plants would it help at all with the light bars you can submerge to the bottom of the tank? Just a thought. My thought is if you put one on the back side of the tank close to the plant it might help alittle and not have to do as much trimming to keep it looking half way decent.

While in theory that could work there are a few drawbacks hence why we probably aren’t seeing them too often.

1) those types of lights aren’t designed for higher intensities or proper photosynthetic spectrums needed for plant growth.
2) the “front” of the stem plant will still be shaded.
3) it would probably give a weird look to the tank having a light source from the back/bottom.

The thing with stem plants I have been noticing is that regular trimming/removal of old growth/replanting is the single best way of making them look their greatest (unless you are going for a “jungle look” that is) ;)

To add to this, when planting, it is best to provide ample space (e.g. - 0.5-1.0”) for each stem. Less crowding means more light penetration at the base.

Thanks everyone sorry for the late reply

Back
Top Bottom