Why is this hobby so addicting???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishychick

Aquarium Advice Freak
A year ago, I'd never owned a fish in my life. Now I have 4 tanks running and I spend more time on this forum than I do with my husband...WTH just happened? :ROFLMAO:

The same exact thing that happened to everyone else on the forum :)

I'm up to 6 tanks atm

I've got 3...kind of an obsession ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I know, right!? My friend keeps asking me "Why fish? Fish are so boring." But I could sit and watch my fish for hours. There's sooooo much to learn and soooo many different kinds of fish and plants and testing water makes me feel like some sort of smart chemist, and...i just never knew it could be so fun. The closest I've come to making her understand the attraction is I told her it was sort of like gardening..but in a fish tank.

I went from 6g to 8g to 20g and then 75g. Already want bigger. It's crazy...

I went from 6g to 8g to 20g and then 75g. Already want bigger. It's crazy...

Lol...so that's what I have to look forward to? So far I've gone, 2.5 to 5 to 10 to two 20s...I'm doomed! I'm at the point where I need to move into a bigger house. I have no more room or electrical sockets, lol.

Lol...so that's what I have to look forward to? So far I've gone, 2.5 to 5 to 10 to two 20s...I'm doomed! I'm at the point where I need to move into a bigger house. I have no more room or electrical sockets, lol.

Extension cords have become my best friend ?

•20 gal zebra danio, 75 gal red ear slider•

Tell me about it. Throw out furniture to set up tanks. I even have 2 empty tanks in the living room.
img_3148594_0_f220ddc6dce885369698a042af2f93d4.jpg

img_3148594_1_8c3d638d4dd9cde6b374f527e492b21d.jpg

lol! I love seeing pictures of where the tanks are in everyone's place. Mine is in my little boy's room! It's our first and only one. Well..re-first. Our first attempt was a massive fail.

MIKE,
Are those all 55 gal? They don't look so intimidating, maybe I'll try that next! Ya know...once I find a bigger place. If my kid didn't have so many darn big toys, I'd be set! Hmmmm...fish or kids? Fish or kids? I'm gonna have to think hard about that.:angel:

Lol 3 55s up and running. A 10 I need to bring to my sister and a 33 long on the floor waiting for a stand. And I'm in a 1 bed apt.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just got my second.
29 and now a 35.
I want another already.

Soon I just want a really big maybe 100 gallons and sell the rest.
Or just have one in each room of the house :)

29 gallon~ 5 giant danio, pleco, chinese algae eater
35 gallon~ red ear slider, soon to add guppys and shrimps

My journey into fish started as a joke. 1 male Guppy in a tupperware container so that my friend wouldn't know I put him in with his female guppy while I watched her when he was on vacation. That was 50 years ago and hundreds ( yes hundreds) of tanks ago. I was hooked. My bedroom became a fish room with over 20 tanks at times, all running. When I moved to FL, my bedroom was up to 27 tanks ( if I remember correctly) ranging from 55 gals down to 2 1/2 gals. Yes, it is addicting but there are so many different types of fish and they don;t all get along that in order to have a large collection or variety, you need a lot of tanks. Then, there is the breeding aspect which almost forces you to get more tanks.
On the scientific side, there is a reason why Drs. and Lawyers and other professionals keep fish tanks in their waiting rooms. Fish have a very calming effect on the observer. They lower anxiety and create a peaceful atmosphere. Think about that in your home. ;) Not a bad way to be. :D (y)

My journey into fish started as a joke. 1 male Guppy in a tupperware container so that my friend wouldn't know I put him in with his female guppy while I watched her when he was on vacation. That was 50 years ago and hundreds ( yes hundreds) of tanks ago. I was hooked. My bedroom became a fish room with over 20 tanks at times, all running. When I moved to FL, my bedroom was up to 27 tanks ( if I remember correctly) ranging from 55 gals down to 2 1/2 gals. Yes, it is addicting but there are so many different types of fish and they don;t all get along that in order to have a large collection or variety, you need a lot of tanks. Then, there is the breeding aspect which almost forces you to get more tanks.
On the scientific side, there is a reason why Drs. and Lawyers and other professionals keep fish tanks in their waiting rooms. Fish have a very calming effect on the observer. They lower anxiety and create a peaceful atmosphere. Think about that in your home. ;) Not a bad way to be. :D (y)
That's amazing! To be honest...sometimes I kinda stress about fish keeping. I love watching the tanks and fish, but sometimes i stress out about not doing enough water changes, or worrying that I'm doing something wrong. Hopefully it will become more relaxing with time but for now, I find myself worrying about the health of my tanks and my fish.

That's amazing! To be honest...sometimes I kinda stress about fish keeping. I love watching the tanks and fish, but sometimes i stress out about not doing enough water changes, or worrying that I'm doing something wrong. Hopefully it will become more relaxing with time but for now, I find myself worrying about the health of my tanks and my fish.

It gets easier the longer you are in the hobby.

I agree about the extension cords. Good grief! Talk about a fire hazard! I have them all over the place. Heaters, lights, filters, and then there's the lamp, the computer, the printer, the space heater, etc. I wish there was a simpler way to do it. All the cords get tangled and I don't know what goes with what, lol. I have a 55 and a 20 in my computer room and two 10s in my bedroom. I have my cords marked so I know what the cords go to, but I can't keep them untangled for any period of time. Anyone have suggestions?

I agree about the extension cords. Good grief! Talk about a fire hazard! I have them all over the place. Heaters, lights, filters, and then there's the lamp, the computer, the printer, the space heater, etc. I wish there was a simpler way to do it. All the cords get tangled and I don't know what goes with what, lol. I have a 55 and a 20 in my computer room and two 10s in my bedroom. I have my cords marked so I know what the cords go to, but I can't keep them untangled for any period of time. Anyone have suggestions?

I don't have that problem with my tanks due to a generous amount of sockets in my basement. But I use zip ties for my computer cables.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom