Why replace 1/2 BioMax?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi. I've got a Fluval 405, the main reason they say that is to prevent losing all your nitrifying bacteria. If you change out all your biomax you will lose all that good bacteria, so by only changing part thereof you will continually seed the new stuff. Btw I really don't think you need to change it that frequently, providing you use good prefilter and maybe every few months just lightly rinse it in a bucket of aquarium water to dislodge any build of crap. A good prefilter helps fix this

Thanks, Rodpreston! Yeah. That's what I thought. If you keep it all clean, why change it? I changed mine 1/2 bioMax and 1/2 biohome. I thought if they don't get gunky that they were good forever. Thanks, for answering, you sort of confirmed what I thought!!!

Hi MonkeyM
The tiny pores in the bio-max adds a lot of surface area for BB the colonize. In time these pores get filled up with cellular matter from the bodies of the BB. This reduces surface area and causes each bead to not hold as many BB thus losing efficiency. By replacing half at a time you are giving the BB new area to colonize from the BB on the old beads.
Hope this helps, OS.

Hi MonkeyM
The tiny pores in the bio-max adds a lot of surface area for BB the colonize. In time these pores get filled up with cellular matter from the bodies of the BB. This reduces surface area and causes each bead to not hold as many BB thus losing efficiency. By replacing half at a time you are giving the BB new area to colonize from the BB on the old beads.
Hope this helps, OS.

Hi OS, has much work been done on this in looking at how quickly it will gunk up or any posts? I run a U4 mainly as a mechanical filter (to go with other filters).

Ceramic biomedia is pretty cheap but I find the poly/carbon cartridges more expensive (surprise :) ). I did regularly replace cartridges but now can't be bothered, just clean them. I have spare cartridges if needed (the carbon is really a powder coating) but can't think of a reason to throw them away after 2 weeks? The filtration does drop a bit as not using new filters each time otherwise happy with it (and cheaper). Just noting again that this is just a back up filter for me though.

I rinse and reuse my filter pads. IMO the ones with carbon still can be good mechanical fltering media after the carbon is done for. I cut to size my own pads. Much cheaper.

Your WC schedule is really based on how many fish you have. In your case, IMO your 30% WC weekly is just fine. You could always do 4 30% WC's then one 50% WC. 50% WC's are usually based on one being close to 100% stocked.
OS.

I wouldn't replace them honestly. A heavy and vigorous washing should take care of any problems with clogging.

In my holding tanks I've taken the biohome out and any spots I saw I used a toothbrush on with the old water. So that's good to hear.

I swish mine vigorously in tank water at each filter cleaning and replace about half every 6 months. It's cheap. Why not? OS.

Last edited:
I only replace them when they're falling apart. I have Fluval canisters. And keep the "oldest" in the bottom tray and work it to the "newest" in the top tray. All trays are packed to the limit except the top has enough room for a polishing pad IF I decide to put one in. But I do so many frequent large volume WC's, that carbon is only for taking out meds. As others have stated, a violent thrashing in tank water helps clean out the pores.

If you rinse everything well during WC/maintenance, there shouldn't be a need to replace media often. I have 2 AC's that I've had for 3 years and I've replaced all media in them once. The pads/sponges just rinse in tank water. Same for biomedia. If/when it gets too clogged, replace them or until they are starting to fall apart and become ineffective. Companies usually put those directions to get more money from consumers who don't know better. :)

I wonder how much media is actually needed? You see small filters with persistent low ammonia - I've always thought they just didn't make the grade (or could be gunked up) if everything else seems ok (unless I'm missing something).

I think manufacturer's advice on the replacing of any media is for one reason and one reason alone: to sell you more media. It is sort of like the old shampoo advice: Shampoo, rinse and repeat (it was to sell twice as much shampoo!). Other than things being completely gunked up (it takes years for that to happen if one is diligent with their regular "swishing" maintenance) or falling to pieces, I don't bother replacing any of it--floss, foams, or ceramics.

I think manufacturer's advice on the replacing of any media is for one reason and one reason alone: to sell you more media. It is sort of like the old shampoo advice: Shampoo, rinse and repeat (it was to sell twice as much shampoo!). Other than things being completely gunked up (it takes years for that to happen if one is diligent with their regular "swishing" maintenance) or falling to pieces, I don't bother replacing any of it--floss, foams, or ceramics.

But could that be as we run so much bio media we can't tell? I know mine was fine with say 2 kilograms. Now there is triple that so same here, haven't bought much media for ages and I have over killed it (although not complaining :) ).

I'm just curious to see if anyone has had problems with not replacing filter media, mainly for small filters.

I have had the same filter media (one of those spun ceramic ones and a floss/carbon insert) in a Top Fin 20 in my 10 gallon for over a year now--not a single ammonia or nitrite spike. I just swish/squeeze them in tank water about once a month. The only replacing I've done in the past year is adding additional layers of filter floss to my Aquaclears on the bigger tanks (55 and 20), and changing out half a sponge on one that was literally falling to pieces (it was used when I got it).

Sounds brilliant - many thanks, this is handy info.

I'd say it's been about a year now and haven't replaced anything in a large tank for the filters - just cleaned them.

Back
Top Bottom