Why wont it eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

9ujy

Aquarium Advice Activist
My variatus stopped eating the other day right after I put a new fish in.what's happening?all my ammonia and ph levels are good..the new fish is a kahuli loch.it's a 5 gallon tank

9ujy said:
My variatus stopped eating the other day right after I put a new fish in.what's happening?all my ammonia and ph levels are good..the new fish is a kahuli loch.it's a 5 gallon tank

The platy is probably a little shy... just wait a while for it to get used to the loach, and it should be fine.

What test kits are you using?

I am assuming one that has only a Ammonia test and pH tester?

What are you parameters exactly?

A 5 gallon tank is too small for both the khuli and the platy. And khulis need at least a school of 3-6 or more.

And another platy is swimming sideways.my mistake is putting the crappy petsamrt water in the tank too.and in the petsmart tank where I got the loach from there was too dead fish floating in it.but my otocinclus and gourami seem to b fine

9ujy said:
And another platy is swimming sideways.my mistake is putting the crappy petsamrt water in the tank too.and in the petsmart tank where I got the loach from there was too dead fish floating in it.but my otocinclus and gourami seem to b fine

Did you acclimate the fish?

Acclimate is the process of introducing your fish slowly to the tank water so you can avoid harsh parameter changes that the fish can't adapt to, which results in them going into shock and often kills them.

Generally, the accepted procedure is to get a container and put the fish along with the store water in it. Slowly add tank water over time and when the container gets too full, empty a portion of the water. After a while, you have fish sitting in tank water and then you can add them to your community.

I generally take anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes. For more sensitive fish, doing it over 45 minutes to an hour can be recommended.

Well I let the bag float for like 15 minutes for all my fish...anyways do you think then water from the store could brought some bacteria something into mine?considering there were two dead fish in theirs

9ujy said:
Well I let the bag float for like 15 minutes for all my fish...anyways do you think then water from the store could brought some bacteria something into mine?considering there were two dead fish in theirs

You still need to get them used to your water parameters, not just the temperature.

5 now.could this new fish brought a parasite?

Thats way too many. Your fish are probably suffering because of decreased water quality. They might have already been weak, and then the new fish brought a bug thats taking advantage of a weakened immune system

Ok.btw how long do parasite medications take to work

Do not treat your tank for parasites unless you have diagnosed the parasite. If you kill the bacteria in the tank with medication your decreased water quality may kill additional fish.

Ok but how long do they usually take just for future reference

:blink:What fizz tablets, and for what parasite?

Your tank is overcrowded, it probably has a bad toxin level. What kind of testing kit do you use? How often do you change the water?

What water dechlor do you use?

Temperature?

What other chemicals have you put into the tank?

Back
Top Bottom