Why won't my cycle finish? - Frustrated!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrfishybetta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My fishless cycle has been going for 2 months now - shouldn't I be nearing the end?! I've posted here about a few issues/questions before, and those were very helpful, but now I feel like I'm in a cycle rut again!

Tank is heated and filtered of course, and I have been using the pure ammonia method. Nitrites and nitrates all showed up (after what seemed like forever), and after a few pwcs to fix low pH (I also added a bit of baking soda to help buffer), things seemed to be ok. I was dosing ammonia to 4ppm for a while, then it seemed to stall, so it was recommended that I dose to ~2ppm since there will only be one betta in there. So I've been doing that ever since...but it won't finish!

I dose to 1.5 or 2ppm, then nitrites show up (about a 1.5) , then nitrates (about 3 or 4), and then the levels fall towards 0 (nitrates because I have 2 small plants in there), so its obviously doing something, but this process has been consistently taking 48 hours to do.

What am I doing wrong?! I know I need to get this cycle down to 12 hours...ugh!

Any advice appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom